Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I think I failed out!  (Read 3266 times)

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
I think I failed out!
« on: May 12, 2006, 02:20:36 PM »
I feel like Sh*t!! I only think i did well on my contracts final. i feel like i bombed property and con law. i just landed an outstanding paid law clerk position with the NY state attorney general's office. this is a rare opportunity for a first year student. I need above a 70 to stay in and im really sweating it. the tests were ridiculously hard. a few people walked out of property and con law. i dont know what the professors where thinking. all i want is that 70. i will be humiliated if i take this job and then flunk out!!

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I think I failed out!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 02:41:35 PM »
If it was so hard that a few people walked out, then maybe it will be taken care of in the curve?
Georgetown

lawgradman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 04:30:42 PM »
How did you get such a good job if your grades were soo bad?  Unless your dad knew someone the whole story sounds sketchy.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 05:00:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure the OP would have applied just with first-semester grades. This post is about the recent second-semester scores, I assume.
Georgetown

lawgradman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 05:58:10 PM »
To get that type of job from his 1st semester grades, his grades would have to have been around top 5%-10%.  I have never heard of anyone going from top of the class to failing out in one semester.  Usually if your gpa is that high first semester you can fail almost every class and still not fail out.  He said he needs to stay above 70, if he had 90's the first semester he could get 50's and would not fail out as the average would be 70.  Dropping from a 90 to a 50 is unheard of.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 07:44:26 PM »
Ok...here are the grades for the semester...72,77,95,66,62. I have to do SOME work this semester. im not looking to set the world on fire, but i just want to get out.

Post from last semester.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Ihatehippies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 11:03:38 PM »
wow a 62 and a 95 that is a big range!  I have to agree with the poster above though that it seems wierd to get a paid clerkship with a 62 and a 66.

reverendlex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 11:11:25 PM »
Don't sweat it. My LWR prof told me this story from her favorite 1L Contracts Prof:

He had walked out of his first law school exam feeling stupid. He spent time listening to other students talking about how they wrote about other contract principles and the UCC during the exam. As our hero's feelings of adequacy shrank, he decided to drop out of law school and do something else with his life. A few years later, he goes back to law school, part time. Eventually he graduates, passes the bar and joins the local bar association.

At one of the first bar association dinners, he bumps into one of his classmates from his first school. He hears the rest of the story from his classmate: "Man, Contracts kicked my ass. But the student who got the highest grade in contracts dropped out the next day. I always wondered why...".

There's no point in sweating your grades after you hand in your exam. Either you did  well, or you didn't. I haven't looked at my grades since the end of my 1L grades, and I got my dream job. I'm graduating on Thursday, so I figure I passed my classes.

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 01:16:38 AM »
for those who dont believe me, i will gladly scan my business card and email it to you. i have no reason to lie. they were impressed with my resume, as i spent 4 years out of college before law school and had previously worked for the state. mommmy and daddy did nothing for me. i did it on my own. they were obviously intelligent enough to figure out that i am capable, mature, experienced, and motivated enough for this position without considering my grades and school. you are hiring the person, not the school and not the transcript. again, i will glady provide proof to all those that are speculative. yeah, my midterm grades were a 62, 95, 66, and 77. i didnt study for any of them. i learned a lesson and changed my ways for the spring. they didnt ask me for my grades, nor did they question the school.

but, that is not the issue. the issue is that im concerned about making my 70, not making up a fictious clerkship.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 01:39:30 AM »
relax.  you wrote that you did not study for your midterms, right?  well, i'm sure you were prepared this time.  calm down and just wait for the grades to come in.  one thing at a time, buddy.   ;)
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.