Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any LL.M. programs accept non-ABA grads?  (Read 4536 times)

deFuturo

• View Profile
    • Email
Any LL.M. programs accept non-ABA grads?
« on: May 12, 2006, 03:50:48 AM »
Hello.

I'm just wondering if any of you know of LL.M. schools that accept non-ABA law grads.

I haven't done the most rigorous research yet, but I happened upon this board and thought I'd run the Q by you all to see if you had any suggestions off the top of your head(s).

Thanks in advance.

deFuturo
 ;D

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any LL.M. programs accept non-ABA grads?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 04:34:41 AM »
Obviously, I'll be studying law in France and coming back here to do my LLM (hopefully from NYU's Tax program), so short answer: Yes, they do accept non-ABA grads.
If you meant pursuing an LLM after doing a non-ABA course within America I would assume it is a yes as well. Remember that LLM programs are not approved by the ABA anyway. I think even a few schools grant LLMs in exceptional circumstances to those that don't have a law degree anyway.

BayLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 04:13:33 AM »
You can try St. Thomas University.  They are an ABA approved law school that offer an LLM in International Taxation via online.

My understanding is that they will accept potential students with a Bachelor's degree in finance/accounting, or law (or US JD online or residence programs).  Acceptance into the LLM program is decided on an individual situation.

You can read more on their admissions requirements:  http://www.llmprogram.org/admissions.html

Good Luck!

fostdog69

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 03:06:18 AM »
International tax online..... wow..... you are just the kind of guy we want working for our large high paying law firm. Yeah, me too, I earned my B.A. from the University of Phoenix online.... crazy frat parties on chat rooms... man, we got our balls hazed off on google mail... you're definitely a shoo in at our firm.

P.s.
NOT!!!

esquiremd900

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 05:15:13 PM »
Lawschoolbible.com  THIS IS AN EXCELLENT BOOK ON ALTERNATIVE WAYS TO BE ADMITTED TO THE BAR.

LLMray

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 07:10:16 PM »
The original post is over a year old, but I have to add:

1) A lot of LLM programs say that you need EITHER an ABA degree (or forgeign equivalent) OR are a practicing attorney - meaning you demonstrated that you can pass a bar exam even if you didn't go to an ABA school.  So, don't count yourself out until you read each programs application requirements.

2) The statement about "LLM programs are not approved by the ABA anyway" is not accurate.  ABA approved schools must still seek and receive ABA "acquiesence" of their LLM programs.  This is usually a rubber stamp procedure, but not always.

3) The St. Thomas program is now "housed" (if you can say an on-line program is housed anywhere) at Thomas Jefferson Law School in San Diego.  It's still just an on-line program though.  If you want 3 more initials after your name, it's an okay program, however, do not expect it to add 3 more zeros to your paycheck in the USA.