Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tulane/LSU?  (Read 1147 times)

demlawboy

• View Profile
    • Email
Tulane/LSU?
« on: May 10, 2006, 12:30:09 AM »
Any advice...

I have to choose between transferring to LSU or Tulane.  While I prefer to attend Tulane, the cost is a big factor.  I would end up taking $50k more out in loans if I go to Tulane.  However, avg starting salary for Tulane grads is $83k and LSU grads is $48k. 

Any takers?? 

hilton

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tulane/LSU?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 08:25:41 PM »
Any advice...

I have to choose between transferring to LSU or Tulane.  While I prefer to attend Tulane, the cost is a big factor.  I would end up taking $50k more out in loans if I go to Tulane.  However, avg starting salary for Tulane grads is $83k and LSU grads is $48k. 

Any takers?? 

LSU. its a great school, the average salary is nothing more than a statistic that can be manipulated. if you're aggressive enough, you can get a high paying job out of LSU. where are you now?

demlawboy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 08:33:58 PM »
Currently at Oklahoma City University..

hilton

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 08:38:59 PM »
Currently at Oklahoma City University..

LSU will be great. save your money and who knows what will happen to Tulane's reputation.

AmericanConsumer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 04:30:44 AM »
Any advice...

Any takers?? 

Tulane.

Based on the stats you just posted, you can expect to make up the difference in tuition roughly 18 months out of school.

Your grades and your school pretty much determine what kinds of jobs you'll be able to get.  Yes if you're "aggressive enough" you MAY get a high paying job out of LSU, unfortunately statistics are not on your side.  Of course you can always tell yourself that you'll be the one who "defies the odds" and that you're "more than a statistic," but the reality is, you probably won't. Firm don't care about how much "heart" or "moxy" you've got.  Aside from your school name and your grades, there's virtually no other way for them to make meaningful distinctions between the thousands of utterly fungible candidates they interview every year.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 12:20:36 PM »
Sorry, I'll have to disagree. This goes to having to know your specific market. LSU is viewed as being equal to Tulane in most of LA. It's better to come from LSU if you want to work in Baton Rouge actually. LSU students probably place a little worse in New Orleans, but that's about it. Throughout the rest of the state, LSU will get you just as far as Tulane...probably even more so because LSU alumni tend to stay in LA whereas Tulane grads tend to leave.

I'd ask the OP where he wants to work after Law school. If he wants to work in LA, then go to LSU and save the money. If he wants to head out of state, then go to Tulane.

Any advice...

Any takers?? 

Tulane.

Based on the stats you just posted, you can expect to make up the difference in tuition roughly 18 months out of school.

Your grades and your school pretty much determine what kinds of jobs you'll be able to get.  Yes if you're "aggressive enough" you MAY get a high paying job out of LSU, unfortunately statistics are not on your side.  Of course you can always tell yourself that you'll be the one who "defies the odds" and that you're "more than a statistic," but the reality is, you probably won't. Firm don't care about how much "heart" or "moxy" you've got.  Aside from your school name and your grades, there's virtually no other way for them to make meaningful distinctions between the thousands of utterly fungible candidates they interview every year.

AmericanConsumer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 04:23:54 AM »
Sorry, I'll have to disagree. This goes to having to know your specific market. LSU is viewed as being equal to Tulane in most of LA. It's better to come from LSU if you want to work in Baton Rouge actually. LSU students probably place a little worse in New Orleans, but that's about it. Throughout the rest of the state, LSU will get you just as far as Tulane...probably even more so because LSU alumni tend to stay in LA whereas Tulane grads tend to leave.

I'd ask the OP where he wants to work after Law school. If he wants to work in LA, then go to LSU and save the money. If he wants to head out of state, then go to Tulane.

Any advice...

Any takers?? 

Tulane.

I actually thought there was no way in hell this could be true, but a quick glance at NALP, Martindale, and the ABA stats convinced me.  I guess it doesn't matter that much.