Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

We want DOWNY to come back. Yes, he's a bit quirky, but underneath the drunken ramblings he's been very helpful. Please give him a second chance.

I want DOWNY back on this site. He brings joy to my life and can be helpful at times.
 8 (80%)
Andrew, we may not like DOWNY all that much, but we think it is unfair to ban him, especially since you did not even notify him of his status. Bring him back.
 2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: "Nuestro Himno": Offended By 'The Star-Spangled Banner' in Spanish  (Read 1189 times)

windows

• View Profile
Works of literature can be especially hard to translate well, as the majesty of the language and connotations of certain words can be lost. That is especially true of songs, where the rhythm and poetry of the original language can be lost as well. But that doesn't keep translators from trying. No fewer than four translators have made serious, recognized attempts to translate "The Star-Spangled Banner," although not all have tried to make the words singable.

Amanece: ¿no veis, a la luz de la aurora,
Lo que tanto aclamamos la noche al caer?
Sus estrellas, sus barras flotaban ayer
En el fiero combate en señal de victoria,
Fulgor de cohetes, de bombas estruendo,
Por la noche decían: "!Se va defendiendo!"

Coro:
!Oh, decid! ¿Despliega aún su hermosura estrellada,
Sobre tierra de libres, la bandera sagrada?

En la costa lejana que apenas blanquea,
Donde yace nublada la hueste feroz
Sobre aquel precipicio que elévase atroz
¡Oh, decidme! ¿Qué es eso que en la brisa ondea?
Se oculta y flamea, en el alba luciendo,
Reflejada en la mar, donde va resplandeciendo

Coro:
!Aún allí desplegó su hermosura estrellada,
Sobre tierra de libres, la bandera sagrada!

¡Oh así sea siempre, en lealtad defendamos
Nuestra tierra natal contra el torpe invasor!
A Dios quien nos dio paz, libertad y honor,
Nos mantuvo nación, con fervor bendigamos.
Nuestra causa es el bien, y por eso triunfamos.
Siempre fue nuestro lema "¡En Dios confiamos!"

Coro:
!Y desplegará su hermosura estrellada,
Sobre tierra de libres, la bandera sagrada!

samantha

• View Profile
Re: "Nuestro Himno": Offended By 'The Star-Spangled Banner' in Spanish
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 05:51:32 AM »
FYI, a remix to be released in June will contain several lines in English that condemn U.S. immigration laws. Among them: "These kids have no parents, cause all of these mean laws ... let's not start a war with all these hard workers, they can't help where they were born." These changes are fitting. After all, American immigrants borrowed the melody of the "Star-Spangled Banner" from an English drinking song. There's no attempt to usurp anything. The intent is to communicate. People need to show their thanks to these people who do the jobs Americans don't want to do.

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 02:41:04 PM »
I am generally apathetic to this entire issue. After considerable thought, I realize that one way or another, it does not really impact me.

Why should I care?

I have tried and I can't get behind either side enough to give a rat's ass. So ultimately, f-ck it...

After all, is any illegal immigrant going to take my job as an attorney?

BtheD19

• AOL Instant Messenger - BtheD19
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 05:37:38 PM »
After all, is any illegal immigrant going to take my job as an attorney?

Not likely any time soon, pero te hablas español?  Porque si no, you'll have a hard time getting/communicating with clients.

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 08:06:38 PM »
Comprendo espanol, y hablo asi asi, pero cansada de esta discusión.

meh...

The point I was trying to make is that I view the entire situation as inevitable; both sides should realize that reaching their perspective "ideal goal" or solution to the "perceived problem" is something that is never going to happen because most people feel too strongly to compromise.

We'll have illegal immigration next year, next decade, and probably the next century. People should look at how this issue directly affects their lives, and answer accordingly. And for me, I don't see any major impact, positive or negative...

so meh...

Villus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 08:52:07 PM »
Look, the ultimate point is, no matter what the melody for the SSB came from, don't mess with symbols of people's country. Don't mess with their flag, don't mess with their pledge (if they have one), and don't mess with their national anthem. It's just a matter of respect. I hate it when i see things like flag burning (both American and Mexican), and I just don't think that Dominicans or Mexicans, or French people would like it if we started changing the words to their national anthem, even if we did not mean any disrespect.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 06:51:21 PM »

[...] After all, American immigrants borrowed the melody of the "Star-Spangled Banner" from an English drinking song.[...]

WHAT?!
Only sick music makes money today.

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 07:09:00 PM »
I have changed my mind...

Everyone can express themselves however they want to. A cornerstone that our country was founded upon is the principle of free speech. So, if hippies can burn a flag (and they have every right to) then a re-wording of our national anthem shouldn't be a big deal.

There should never be a sacred cow in America...

seine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 07:31:52 AM »
13% of the US population is Hispanic .. what surprises me at this point is why black people are not proposing their own version of the American flag (not sarcastic!)

einszweidrei

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 07:12:42 AM »
that's what white peuple fear, seine ... imagine the white stripes turining black ... lol