Law School Discussion

Hello I am probibly going to be PT at my school. I am trying to keep my options

Maybe, but in a situation like this, and given the competition in the field, you can't blame him for wanting to better his situation...On the other hand, you might be very right if all he wants to do is transfer within the 2nd tier.  If its becuase you're away from home and want to be in the area, maybe you'll feel otherwise after living there for a while.  It may be good to get out of the life you had before and start somewhere else from the ground up....On an aside, not to try to call erapitt an a-hole or anything, but you invite people's comments about your numbers when you post personal stuff like that on the internet.  I saw a number of threads congratulating you saying you beat the odds and all that.  My question though is, do you want to be known as the kid who "slipped" into law school by your peers?  I wouldn't.  My numbers weren't horrible but I didn't choose to post them becuase I know there's always someone better.  Call me insecure, maybe I am.  Either way I didn't do as well as I wanted to and have a lot of respect for the people who did do very well.

Erapitt

• View Profile
Transferring within T2 is pointless and maybe even to a T1 if it is not a T20 (it wouldn't make that much of a difference, still a very regional degree).  The reality is there is a very very very slim chance he would ever score well enough to do a T20 transfer.

Not to mention, why would you look so far down the road?  You should pass your conditional program first (that IS what it is whether you want to admit it or not), then worry about transferring.

oh

I've seen the guy's posts on several sites.  Hate to be one of the wet blankets, but my friend you are getting financial help and a chance at a fairly decent school and your LSAT is well below their standards.  You've got your right to dream, but you are way ahead of yourself.  Not to mention you've posted your personal e-mail in some of these sites.  Wouldn't take much for some URM hater to forward some of this crap to INDY. 

galex

• View Profile
No offense dude but you should be d**mn happy you got into law school at all let alone talking about transferring.

It is a weird phenomenon.  For example, in December I would have been excited to get in absolutely anywhere.  A few months later, I found myself making snobby comments about other schools and feeling like I absolutely "deserved" to get into my dream school.

Erapitt's right, even if not terribly tactful.  Why not concentrate on making the best of IU-I for the next couple of semesters?  You can't take any practical steps towards transferring until after Fall semester anyway.  Besides, if you transfer, doesn't that effectively kill any chance of making law review, etc.?

I dont know about "killing" any chance for making law review; after all many schools will make him wait until the end of his second year anyway if he's part time.  The issue is whether a transfer within a tier is going to be to your advatage.  Obviously not.  Also why go through the headache just becuase you want to live near home.  IU-Indy isn't a T20 but its not a 3rd or 4th tier either.  In the region (key word region), its respected.  You're going to pretty much have to make your name there becuase in the absence of a reputation, all they have to go on is the "known commodity" i.e. your school. After a few years, you could perhaps go back home.  Find your niche though man, if you surround yourself with the walls you lived in your whole life, you may never reach your potential.  (sorry fro the tony robbins comment) Its crazy though, and not to get down on you, but you start the 15th of May.  Therefore your probably already there or in the process of getting an apartment.  I just hate to see you go through this when it really should have happened well before you opened up Google Maps for the best route from Philly to Indy.

latinlord

• Attorney at Law in Philadelphia Law Firm
    • View Profile
    • Email
ok ok I get it, i'm getting a head of myself. I just wanted to see what my options are, it kool though, forget it, i'll find out about it all as it comes. I am and have always been a very anxious person, it has just been my personality. Ok here is what happens with the class summer class. It is called "legal process" so far I finished the first day assignment and it looks like an intro to Civil procedure. The class is in essence an elective. So I guess i was wrong about having a lesser load in the fall b/c i won't actually have a lesser load until I get further in my law school career and have the opportunity to take elective classes. I will get to take one less elective course b/c I have already taken this class. Nothing that drastic of a change. I am very grateful to be in Indy, i just was trying to learn some information. I'm sure i will get used to the area, and hopefully will learn to love it, maybe it is just my anxiety catching up with me "I'v never been this far away from PA" I don't know. Its kool though, forget about it. Adios and thanks for the imput.

Don't take what everyone said to heart LL, its the nature of this board.  Some people are going to help you, some are going to be brutally honest, and some will be brutally honest to get a few laughs at your expense...i.e. erapitts posts in this thread.  Nothing personal. (I hope at least) I just know that there are a large number of people that would Kill to be in your position, and I'm sure people on this board have good friends who got screwed by the LSAT or themselves have been screwed by the test and are quite sensative when they see an URM making claims that he might not be happy with something that (as they see) was handed to you on a silver platter.  You can understand that right?  Thats just the way some people are man.

Erapitt

• View Profile
Don't take what everyone said to heart LL, its the nature of this board.  Some people are going to help you, some are going to be brutally honest, and some will be brutally honest to get a few laughs at your expense...i.e. erapitts posts in this thread.  Nothing personal. (I hope at least) I just know that there are a large number of people that would Kill to be in your position, and I'm sure people on this board have good friends who got screwed by the LSAT or themselves have been screwed by the test and are quite sensative when they see an URM making claims that he might not be happy with something that (as they see) was handed to you on a silver platter.  You can understand that right?  Thats just the way some people are man.

I don't think I fall under the category of being brutally honest to have a few laughs at his expense.  I think I just fall under the being brutally honest category.  I have nothing against LL, other than that he is from Philly ;), but that isn't personal haha.

Dxion

I'm confused. Why are they making you move to school three months early to take an elective? That does not make a lot of sense.

latinlord

• Attorney at Law in Philadelphia Law Firm
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm confused. Why are they making you move to school three months early to take an elective? That does not make a lot of sense.

It isn't a normal elective, it is an intro to law course that is supposed to help me do better in school. It isn't conditional, where they only accept you after you get a certain grade, it is just a summer start up session. My undergrad had the same thing, students with sub-par SAT's or GPA's started in the summer. It isn't a required course (although it is required for me), just an elective, a special elective. The course is called "legal process" and the book is "elements of law". I see it as an intro to law school type course, but only at the end, I get a grade and credits. Concider it one of those prep-courses for law school, only this one is given by the school and I get a grade and credit in the end. Thats all, it is worth it b/c it enable them to accept people who normally wouldn't have gotten in. Actually a lot of schools have programs like this, only they can be hard to find. I remember hearing UV or UWV had a similar program. Anyway take care