Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ARe there any schools in the East coast that have PT transfers???  (Read 752 times)

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
Hello I am probibly going to be PT at my school. I am trying to keep my options open. I am from PA and going to IN. I would like to know if there are any schools in the east coast that accept PT transfers??? If I am PT, I will not have enough credits to be concidered into FT transfer status, maybe if I take summer classes. Could I do that?? Will schools wait for my grades?? That is really cutting it down to the wire isn't it. I would like to have the option to move back to PA if possible. What can I do?? Also going with the posting of someone else on this thread, what are my chances of getting into a school in my state that is of same tier as me. I'm 2nd tier, schools like Temple and Villanova are in the same tier as me, and are reallly close to me. If I get awesome grades i'm applying to PENN too (i can dream can't i) Thank you all for ur time and comments.
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

• View Profile
Re: ARe there any schools in the East coast that have PT transfers???
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 10:38:47 AM »
I am in the same situation but one year ahead of you.  Nearly all the schools that have part time programs of their own accept part time transfers.  There are a handful of FT only schools that will consider you as a transfer. 

Most of the schools have clear information on their websites.  Some say you must have a full first year completed by the application deadline others say you need a minimum of X credits to apply and others still have different requirements. 

My advice to you is to make an initial list of 15-20 schools because about half of them are not even going to let you apply so in reality you will end up with about 7-10 possibilities.

Also, before you get ahead of yourself, you're going to need to get the grades to get in*.  I was deferred from Georgetown last week but that is remarkable considering my GPA and LSAT were probably good enough to have the janitor at the Georgetown admissions office jerk off on my application if I had applied as a 1L - the point being that all transfer schools care about are your 1L grades.

*Many very smart people get B's and B-'s in their first semester of law school because they do not know how to write a law school exam - learn now.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 02:02:38 AM »
I am in the same situation but one year ahead of you.  Nearly all the schools that have part time programs of their own accept part time transfers.  There are a handful of FT only schools that will consider you as a transfer. 

Most of the schools have clear information on their websites.  Some say you must have a full first year completed by the application deadline others say you need a minimum of X credits to apply and others still have different requirements. 

My advice to you is to make an initial list of 15-20 schools because about half of them are not even going to let you apply so in reality you will end up with about 7-10 possibilities.

Also, before you get ahead of yourself, you're going to need to get the grades to get in*.  I was deferred from Georgetown last week but that is remarkable considering my GPA and LSAT were probably good enough to have the janitor at the Georgetown admissions office jerk off on my application if I had applied as a 1L - the point being that all transfer schools care about are your 1L grades.

*Many very smart people get B's and B-'s in their first semester of law school because they do not know how to write a law school exam - learn now.

Wow great advice!! THanks, I didn't know that I could apply to other part time programs! That helps a lot. Also how do you recommend I learn how to write on exams?? Any good books?? I actually got a few and am aware of the all mighty IRAC formate. Thanks for advice though. It helped a lot and gave me some hope. Gracias
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 12:40:30 PM »
The best advice I can give you is to remember that the profs are interested in seeing that you can apply the facts they give you on the exam to the rules you learn in class.  That being said, you should justify your use of a particular rule with the relevant facts of the exam you're taking.  You always need a reason for why you think a particular rule applies and your reasons must come from what you are given to work with (facts) on the exam.  "Because the facts here are analagous to the case of X v. Y..." is probably good enough to get you a C.  The professor is interested in what facts make you think the way  you do and why those facts (or different facts) make you think that an alternate conclusion is invalid, or less likely to be correct.

Notice that the word "facts" is used above 6 times in 5 sentences - the facts of your exam are important.