Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers State  (Read 1689 times)

pq

• View Profile
Rutgers State
« on: May 04, 2006, 07:13:12 PM »
They say it's in a ghetto area - any ideas, suggestions, exhortations?

reverendlex

• View Profile
Re: Rutgers State
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 10:02:45 PM »
There are 2 law schools in the Rutgers system- Newark and Camden. I've never been to the Newark campus, but the Camden campus isn't the worst place on earth. Camden outside of the downtown can get dicey. I don't think I'd live there.

If you don't like cities, you can always go to school in the 'burbs, like Villanova.

alwaystheunderdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 09:51:39 AM »
newark is a nice building (very close to SHU Law and NJIT.  its newark - so take it for what its worth.  it is not as nice as downneck (the portugese section), but far better than some of the bad areas.  there is a lot of white collar business around there as well as the AAA baseball staduim (great time for like 10 bucks) and i believe that they are doing construction to move the devils there in a few years.  its like any city - should be fine during the day and watch yourself during the night

And dude - FYI no one calls it rutgers state, just rutgers will do

dmitrik4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 10:25:06 AM »
i can tell you about rutgers-camden if that's the one you mean.  i'm graduating from there on the 19th.

studmuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 09:38:33 PM »
If it's Camden, you might as well go to Howard. I think you would fare better chilling with Lucifer in the fiery pits of hell than going to Rutgers Camden. Camden is a total crime-ridden shithole and while Newark is not that much better, it's tolerable.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 06:44:29 PM »
Rutgers is a clinical factory! Those impatient to get their hands dirty with the law should be happy at Rutgers—Newark. You will be proud to attend a school where public interest is a priority. About the administration, some students describe it as helpful and supportive, while others complain that it moves at a glacial speed when responding to students' concerns.
Only sick music makes money today.

Evolve

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ekleveland@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kapuda
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 10:31:56 PM »
Outside of public interest is Rutgers any good? Specifically, I'm interested in international or corporate law.

scotch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 11:52:48 PM »
Outside of public interest is Rutgers any good? Specifically, I'm interested in international or corporate law.

Not a good place for that. What other schools are you considering?

Overall, students complain a lot about Rutgers-Newark.

RM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 10:00:52 AM »
I'm starting at Rutgers-Newark this fall. I have a very good feeling about it. Yes, it's in Newark, but it's also a commuter school. You just need to park in the garage, walk to class, then walk back. Nobody will send you wandering the streets of Newark...
As far as other things go - it's relatively cheap. I know that I will appreciate not having the obnoxious debt. I am also looking for practical experience, and Rutgers offers that. I also want to study abroad, and Rutgers offers that as well. And most importantly, although people always find something to complain about, I heard a lot of positive feedback about the professors, and that speaks volumes to me!
I'm pretty excited! :)
Good luck to all!

Evolve

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ekleveland@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kapuda
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 02:02:12 PM »

Not a good place for that. What other schools are you considering?

Overall, students complain a lot about Rutgers-Newark.

My options are fairly limited in that regard. I applied late in the cycle and have been waitlisted at all my top choices. Thus far, I've only been accepted to Nebraska (alma mater), Rutgers (free app), and Drexel (free app + uber-safety). It really seems to me that Rutgers is my best choice out of all of them, but I really don't fit in with their concentrations at all.