Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 0L- hard to make friends in LS?  (Read 1590 times)

sdnomal

• View Profile
0L- hard to make friends in LS?
« on: May 04, 2006, 12:19:22 PM »
ive heard that LS students can be very cliqy

I took the LSAt twice (dropped one score) and i hated having to go and wait with a bunch of strangers i didnt know. It seemed like everyone knew at least one person there except me. I would always be cramming with my kaplan book up until they assigned us to our classrooms.

is this what LS will be like??? ugh

I was never one to make friends easily within my classes. I did all of my work on my own. As an engineer student i would see packs of people studying before exams (i was too busy going out) but later on i jsut did all the work myself and i graudated a year earlier than my peers. All my friends were non engineers usually buisness or IT majors. Maybe because they actually had time to go out and have fun.

I dont think im the type to need  a study group in LS. I think it will distract me more than help...

Mimimimi

• View Profile
Re: 0L- hard to make friends in LS?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 12:27:50 PM »
Cliques do form, but it's not really based on who you study with.  I have lots of friends in LS and I always study by myself.  I don't think you'll have a problem unless you are really social phobic.  I think it's actually easier to make friends than in college b/c you are with the same people all day, every day- it's almost impossible not to get to know them. 

reverendlex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:38:31 PM »
Wow. Law school isn't much like the LSAT.

You should make friends in law school. They'll be the ones to talk you down from the ledge when you start questioning yourself (and you will).
 They'll help you network, both in and after school. I got my dream job because a law school friend thought to act as a matchmaker.

Study groups- that's another thing entirely. It may or may not be beneficial to you. I found them to be helpful my first year. Later classes, I might have shared outlines, but that's all.

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 01:46:16 PM »
You'll make friends.  I think the clique-ness and the high school comparisons, etc. stem from the fact that the school is so much smaller and you have the same people in every single class.  So there is an element of that kind of thing that is inevitable.  But assuming you have no problems making friends otherwise, you'll certainly make friends.  Even though it's a small pool to draft from and they probably won't be people you would have otherwise imagined being friends with.  They'll just the ones who you can relate to a little bit better than some of those "other" wack-jobs you have been permanently lumped with.  Anyway, "friends" means little more than people you sit next to in class, chat with in between classes, and maybe study with occasionally outside of school.  And as reverendlex alluded to, the relationship is often not unlike that of an AA sponsor.   
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

reverendlex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 06:35:51 PM »
  And as reverendlex alluded to, the relationship is often not unlike that of an AA sponsor.   

Like an AA sponsor that you drink with. I'll have to mention it at our pre-graduation party.

emil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 06:36:38 PM »
Anyway, "friends" means little more than people you sit next to in class, chat with in between classes, and maybe study with occasionally outside of school.  And as reverendlex alluded to, the relationship is often not unlike that of an AA sponsor.   

That's what I was thinking, if the guy would be able to make real friends, not these kinds of "friends" you talk about ...