Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Required and Elective Classess  (Read 715 times)

John Galt

• View Profile
Required and Elective Classess
« on: May 03, 2006, 05:56:17 PM »
I am wondering what classes everyone thinks should or should not be required. I have a generic list of required classes; tell you what think:

Torts
Contracts
Civ Pro
Property
Crim Pro
Crim Law
Con Law
Professional Responsibility
Legal Writing

I left out and legal methods type classes like Trial Advocacy or Mediation.

I think Crim law should be an elective. I have no desire to practice in crim law so I found it substantively pointless. The "critical theoretical thinking" from that class was no different than any other law class, and pretty much exactly like torts.

On the other hand, I think that Administrative Law should be required. It is probably the broadest category of law in the country and its substantive and procedural due process issues apply to most legal disciplines.

Also, I think a business organizations/associations type class should be required, but I couldn’t tell you why. I just think it.

Though I have no authority to do so, I would ask that no law school names be used to avoid the typical “my school has better biglaw job prospects than yours” argument that just about every thread deteriorates into.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Required and Elective Classess
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 06:26:37 PM »
My school has better big law job prospects than yours John Galt.
pudding is delightful

reverendlex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 07:48:07 PM »
Criminal law touches on all other aspects of legal practice. Even if you don't want to practice it, you need to know where the boundaries exist for your client- think Martha Stewart or Ken Lay. Neither of these people went to 'criminal' lawyers for advice, but knowing criminal law would have been helpful to give them advice, if they asked.

I agree about Admin law- it does affect so many other areas of life.

Biz Associations- not so much. It's nice to know how partnerships and LLCs work, but not for everyone.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 07:48:34 PM »
Evidence

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 09:21:15 PM »
Con law = elective. 

lakerat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 12:38:33 AM »
requried:
business org..
federal tax

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 04:29:02 AM »
Con law = elective. 

Definitely agree. Barbri can teach it to me later.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 08:56:09 AM »
I think con law should an elective.  I'm on the fence about crim.  I definitely see how it's not useful to many, but it's not totally useless either.

Admin law should be required, as well as evidence and business associates (so everyone gets their feet wet with litigation and transactional work).

Trial technique stuff should NOT be mandatory, as there are SO many people that would rather die then go into litigation.  Forcing them to take an evidence class is one thing.  Forcing them to spend 2 weeks after school running through a big mock trial or whatever it is trial techniques does at Emory is just torture.