Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 0L- help with choosing supplements!!  (Read 1269 times)

sdnomal

• View Profile
0L- help with choosing supplements!!
« on: May 03, 2006, 12:01:53 PM »
ok so i have heard conflicting advice on which supplements to buy!

But i think majority has said that E&e is good and chemerinsky for con law...

should i buy them in the summer?? or should i wait until i see what books are used for class??

i was also going to sign up with barbri and pmbr to get the free matierlas since some swear buy it

I plan to buy LEEWS and listen to it over the summer

can anyone offer some advice? I dont want to waste my money since i know it wont be cheap to buy all of this stuff.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 0L- help with choosing supplements!!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 12:07:55 PM »
you dont need that crap to do well in law school

if you read the text closely and listen to lecture you will have no problem getting As

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 12:12:25 PM »
I would wait. There is not one supplement that is superior to another, it is really about personal preference. Once you get into class, see what the professor is doing and figure out your learning style, then go back and look at several of them again. You will probably be able to make a better choice then.

I would definitely lock in your rate with BarBri now if you are pretty sure you will be using them for the bar exam. It is nice to know that your rate won't go up and the free materials are nice.

I don't remember if PMBR gave out free stuff or if they even have a lock-in rate procedure. If something is free, go for it.

If you do decide to buy something over the summer, just make sure you are doing it for the right reason. This is just a thought, but I would advise against buying it with the intent of teaching yourself the law prior to going to class. If, however, you are doing it to get a good overview of the topic, I think that is an excellent idea. It is nice to see an overview before you dive in and for some people, it makes the whole experience less stressful once you begin.

Good luck!

Edit: I just wanted to add that if there is one thing that I would recommend doing prior to law school is to find a book that teaches you how to brief cases and outline courses. You may decide later not to do the outlining (it works for some but not others) but having those skills from the beginning will really help you.

And, aside from everything else, enjoy yourself this summer. Trust me, you will be glad that you did.  :)

sdnomal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 12:14:09 PM »
ok well the barbri and pmbr isnt a waste becasue you will eventually register with them for the bar ...correct?

plus i will lock in my rate

Like eveyrone else im shooting to be at the top of my class...but lets be realistic....

Allot of people swear by LEEWS so i figured i could buy a used set from amazon..

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 12:20:16 PM »
ok well the barbri and pmbr isnt a waste becasue you will eventually register with them for the bar ...correct?

plus i will lock in my rate

Like eveyrone else im shooting to be at the top of my class...but lets be realistic....

Allot of people swear by LEEWS so i figured i could buy a used set from amazon..

Like I said, I don't remember if there was any advantage to doing anything with PMBR at this point. Go to their website and look around.

I never looked at LEEWS, but I thought I did remember hearing good things about it. If it is geared toward teaching you a technique for studying in law school, it probably is worth looking at it. Whether it works for everyone is another issue. Finding a technique that works for you is probably one of the biggest issues that face 1L's. You would be surprised at how many people find out that what worked for them in undergrad doesn't work for law school. Just try to find out what works best for you. It is definitely not the same for everyone.

rezipsa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 12:23:49 PM »
Tonic...it goes well with gin. ;D

sdnomal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 12:24:05 PM »
basically im using it to get a picture of what I will learn in law school, not to teach the law to myself with the supplements.

Im nervous because im not a 'traditional' law student. My undergrade was BME.

I have no knowledge of how the trial/ appellate level system works ect...

should this be a concern for me? What about all those students that wanted to go into law since they were 10, who have paralegal experince and blah blah blah...

maybe im being paranoid. i dont know

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 12:29:07 PM »
Using it as an overview is fine. It will probably help you feel more comfortable before you start.

It is completely normal to be nervous but don't worry, you will be fine. There are very few law students that took pre-law courses so everyone is pretty much in the same boat. Even those students who did normally have very little if any advantage. Sometimes it can be a disadvantage.

Don't worry about knowing the trial/appellate systems. They will teach you the structure in class.

You aren't being paranoid. What you are feeling is completely normal.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 02:59:00 PM »
You can have my chemerinsky for con law.

sdnomal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 03:07:14 PM »
was it useful?