Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Current Students: How Necessary is a Laptop?  (Read 6251 times)

NATUREBOY

• View Profile
Current Students: How Necessary is a Laptop?
« on: May 02, 2006, 11:22:28 AM »
I'm old school.  Can I still do well?

Do professors allow typed exams?

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Current Students: How Necessary is a Laptop?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 11:45:47 AM »
Laptops are absolutely necessary.  i hear the last student to go without one was smitten by the gods with a thunderbolt.
pudding is delightful

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 12:12:48 PM »
not a necessity, but I think it helps

easier to take notes
easier to create outlines
most of my profs use powerpoint and post them so it's easy to put them into my notes

much easier to write exams - I can type faster than I can write

When you say typed exams what do you mean?  Typewriter? 
Students here can also use the computers in the labs to take exams on.

Your writing class may require an electronic copy of your papers so you still might need a computer at home.

out of 80 some students in my section, about half type and half write the exams.  probably 75% using a laptop in class, but a large portion use it to surf or IM during class - it is a distraction.  It is easy however, to pull up the FRCP or the state rules for reference or hit lexis for a case that may only be squibbed in the book.

so a laptop has its advantages, but you can survive without.

NATUREBOY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 01:48:22 PM »

easier to take notes
most of my profs use powerpoint and post them so it's easy to put them into my notes

Your writing class may require an electronic copy of your papers so you still might need a computer at home.

out of 80 some students in my section, about half type and half write the exams.  probably 75% using a laptop in class, but a large portion use it to surf or IM during class - it is a distraction.  It is easy however, to pull up the FRCP or the state rules for reference or hit lexis for a case that may only be squibbed in the book.

Well if the professors allow you to take exams in the computer lab, I'd rather do that than purchase a laptop.  Do ALL professors allow this?

Thanks!

blocked

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 08:01:19 PM »
At St. Mary's, exams are assigned two rooms: one for "writers" one for "typers". In order to type you have to bring your own laptop with "SoftTest" loaded already.

I've never heard of a professor allowing anyone to take an exam outside the assigned room. There really isn't a "computer lab" per se. Westlat and Lexis each have labs, but the SoftTest software isn't installed on those machines...

Buy a laptop. You'll want one by the end of the semester anyway, you might as well get the benefit for the whole semester.

Eddie
St. Mary's bound

bruin04

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 08:07:11 PM »

easier to take notes

Well if the professors allow you to take exams in the computer lab, I'd rather do that than purchase a laptop.  Do ALL professors allow this?

Thanks!

depends. My school does not allow exams to be takein in the lab at all.

NATUREBOY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 09:02:53 AM »
At St. Mary's, exams are assigned two rooms: one for "writers" one for "typers". In order to type you have to bring your own laptop with "SoftTest" loaded already.

I've never heard of a professor allowing anyone to take an exam outside the assigned room. There really isn't a "computer lab" per se. Westlat and Lexis each have labs, but the SoftTest software isn't installed on those machines...

Buy a laptop. You'll want one by the end of the semester anyway, you might as well get the benefit for the whole semester.

Eddie

Okay, I have an old laptop that I just needs the keyboard fixed.  But how do I make sure I get all the appropriate software/wireless internet access added?  And do we have to pay for that?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 09:28:10 AM »
Depending on how old the laptop is, how much the repair for the keyboard will be, and how outdated your software is, it may be cheaper to just buy a new one.  You really don't want to screw around when it comes to using the exam software and having a clean, well running laptop.

If you do go with the repairs, pay for it to be done right, and ensure the laptop can handle any new software or programs without slowing down or crashing.  Many people had been not diligent about running spyware and virus protection, and their laptops crashed in the middle of taking an exam.  Not fun.

And I think being able to take exams in the computer lab is very school specific.  I don't think my school let people do that first semester, but I noticed a few doing it for finals this spring.

NATUREBOY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 12:12:46 PM »
Guys,

This sub-forum is for St Mary's only.

I'm asking what the rules are at this school; nowhere else.

Does anybody know how much students can get the Dell for, through the school's special pricing?

kruddler

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lubbock.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 08:41:23 PM »
Guys,

This sub-forum is for St Mary's only.

I'm asking what the rules are at this school; nowhere else.

Please don't be a prick to people who are trying to help you.

Does anybody know how much students can get the Dell for, through the school's special pricing?

When I visited St. Mary's, my mentor told me not to get one through Dell; she suggested another Web site with deep discounts. The address escapes me, but your mentor might know. My mentor also said to get your laptop set up with the tech guys EARLY, else they'll take six weeks to get it back to you.
GPA: Ha! LSAT: Meh
Attending Texas Tech fall '06