Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2009  (Read 27326 times)

militancy22

• View Profile
Re: Class of 2009
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2006, 01:08:32 AM »
Is anyone in section B?  I think I am...

militancy22

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2006, 02:53:53 PM »
I'm in Section B, this is my schedule:
McManamon for Civ Pro, Kristl for Property, and Culhane for Torts.

I have McManamon for Civ Pro, Kelly for Property, and Culhane for Torts.  Since we don't have ALL the same classes, is it possible that we are still in the same section?

militancy22

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2006, 06:23:52 PM »
I'm in Section B, this is my schedule:
McManamon for Civ Pro, Kristl for Property, and Culhane for Torts.

I have McManamon for Civ Pro, Kelly for Property, and Culhane for Torts.  Since we don't have ALL the same classes, is it possible that we are still in the same section?
Im not sure how it works.  Your lucky you have Kelly instead of Kristl, if ratemyprofessors.com is accurate

A friend of mine from high school attends Widener and told me that it IS possible to be in the same section even if you are in a different class or two.  They mix you up a little but for the most part you have the same professors and workload.  I'll have to take a look at ratemyprofessors and see what it says; didn't even think to do that!

cchamra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2006, 09:29:31 PM »
Has anyone read any of the suggested readings?

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2006, 11:43:48 PM »
I read Civil Action and Gideon's Trumpet.  Haven't started Bretheren yet.

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2006, 11:16:36 AM »
I'm almost done 1L.  It's a really good read. After that, plan to hit up Planet law school and E&E
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

monika

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2006, 06:26:31 PM »
DO NOT GO TO WIDENER! I realize you think that hard work automatically pays off but there are plenty of law student's at Widener that bust their asses for 3 years only to be unable to find a job that can pay off their debt. The only trial law you will practice out of Widner is some DUI cases and a whole lot of personal injury. If you are really lucky, maybe some wrongful death. Sounds like a great career. Good luck!

cchamra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2006, 06:36:14 PM »
Weird.  I know three attorneys that have great jobs and went to Widener.  I also currently intern for a firm in New York City where some associates and partners alike have stated Wilmington to be great area to go to school in since it is home to many corporations and firms who hire out of the area (a statement I have also read while researching the school on my own).  Thanks for taking the time to warn us I guess.  Anyway, I finished Civil Action and just finished One L.  One L actually made me re-think law school a bit.  I'm going to start Gideon's Trumphet on Monday. 

NightOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2006, 09:58:34 PM »
Don't let One L freak you out!  It's worth reading for quasi-fun, but just know that law school isn't a protracted nervous breakdown unless you're someone really insistent on turning it into a protracted nervous breakdown.

And this is just my $0.02, but I would recommend not getting hung up on reading supplements before school starts.  I'm all about E&Es -- I think they're great for many classes, and where I've used an outside aid, they're the only series I've turned to.  But you won't understand how to use them or what parts to cover until you're in the thick of first semester.  Plus, your professor may cover as little as half of what's in an E&E or may cover topics differently.  At the best, you've lost some summer hours reading material you won't be using and/or won't retain until December, and at the worst, you might get overloaded and confused in a way which persists into the semester. 

That's strictly my opinion, and I know the anticipation is *crazy* and everybody has to decide their study methods for themselves.  But I can promise that it's very possible to start Orientation week with very little knowledge of law school, let alone "the law," and still do well.  If you've got free time available 0L summer, something more relaxing may actually be a better investment in your future.

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2006, 05:51:15 PM »
DO NOT GO TO WIDENER! I realize you think that hard work automatically pays off but there are plenty of law student's at Widener that bust their asses for 3 years only to be unable to find a job that can pay off their debt. The only trial law you will practice out of Widner is some DUI cases and a whole lot of personal injury. If you are really lucky, maybe some wrongful death. Sounds like a great career. Good luck!
wrongful death only hmm, lets look at some powerhouse philly firms and see if there's any widener grads there.
So here's my research
Cozen & O'Conner                     22 attorneys
White & Williams                     32 attorneys
Saul Ewing                           14 attorneys
Wolf Block Shor & Solis-Cohen         7 attorneys
Pepper Hamilton                       4 attorneys
Blank Rome                           11 attorneys
Drinker Biddle and Reathe             5 attorneys
Ballard Spahr Andrews & Ingersoll    11 attorneys
Duane Morris                          5 attorneys
Dechert                               3 attorneys

http://www.ilrg.com/nlj250/office/desc/2
there's the list i found all my data on, i checked the philadelphia office locations of the largest 250 firms in the US.  So it is possible for widener grads to get into BIGlaw.