Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2009  (Read 27750 times)

lk1122

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Class of 2009
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2006, 09:23:40 AM »
If you leave early in the morning, I know the commute from the Phila suburbs (Villlanova) is not bad. 476 to 95 and then you're basically there.

I still have had a faster commute from center city, but it doesn't look like I'll be living there after all.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2006, 03:55:10 PM »
Anybody get their loan information from Widener yet?  I'm still waiting on mine, and was hoping to get it done soon to lock in the rates for the Stafford's before they make the hike up...

Last time I spoke to the financial aid people, they said that the information won't be mailed until late June.  I think we have until July 1 or something like that.

militancy22

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2006, 06:20:26 PM »
You guys who live in Wayne and Villanova live a little closer to Widener than I do.  It takes me about an hour and 10 minutes to get there in moderate traffic.  I'm guessing during heavy traffic it would take you guys about an hour, but that's only a guess.  It would probably take me an hour and a half or more.  That's why I'm opting to live in a dorm for the first year, especially with gas prices the way they are.  Living at home would have its advantages but it's not in the cards for me at this point.

Where did everyone go undergrad?  I went to La Salle.
What do you think about average age of entering students? Just curious...

militancy22

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2006, 08:36:53 PM »
You guys who live in Wayne and Villanova live a little closer to Widener than I do.  It takes me about an hour and 10 minutes to get there in moderate traffic.  I'm guessing during heavy traffic it would take you guys about an hour, but that's only a guess.  It would probably take me an hour and a half or more.  That's why I'm opting to live in a dorm for the first year, especially with gas prices the way they are.  Living at home would have its advantages but it's not in the cards for me at this point.

Where did everyone go undergrad?  I went to La Salle.
What do you think about average age of entering students? Just curious...

Im in Wayne and I decided to rent a dorm too, they seemed to be a good price.  I went to Penn State undergrad, graduated in December.

Hey Ward, what do you think of Widener vs. Duq?  I just made the decision to attend Widener this past week; I feel pretty good about it at the moment but it took me a long time to come to it.  I just really like the Philadelphia area and intend to stay here so I thought Widener is the better option.  Plus it seems to have more choices of law concentrations.  Penn State main?

lk1122

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2006, 09:05:40 AM »
Graduated in May '05 from Franklin and Marshall

Did anyone else apply to Rutgers-Camden? If so do you know anything about the waitlist rumors?

militancy22

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2006, 11:01:05 AM »
Yes, I am from the Philadelphia area, in Montgomery County (Willow Grove).  I actually graduated from La Salle in 2003 and taught history and English for a couple of years before I came to this decision.

Where else did people go undergrad?

ajiddy

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2006, 12:02:26 PM »
The dorms are decent, i live in shipley for the tap program and its not bad at all

lk1122

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2006, 12:05:21 PM »
I applied to R-C and am on the waitlist...what are the waitlist rumors?

If you read posts from last year there are some very unhappy applicants. Although the people in the admissions office are friendly it seems as though they dish out a lot of false hope and false information.

This year, there are people on LSN that have been accepted to RutCam without having applied! Meanwhile, the people in the admissions office will tell waitlist candidates that all the seat deposits are in and you will only get a seat if someone either withdraws or doesn't show. You can draw your own conclusions why RutCam does this.

The point of this is: the rumors are that in the past they waitlist you as a courtesy but then never admit anyone off of the waitlist.

militancy22

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2006, 04:55:00 PM »
Here's hoping that I have some fellow Myspacers (I just got it in April, I swear)!  Join our group and satisfy your inner nerd. :)

http://groups.myspace.com/widenerdelawareclassof2009

See you there.

lk1122

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2006, 10:41:21 PM »
I applied to R-C and am on the waitlist...what are the waitlist rumors?

If you read posts from last year there are some very unhappy applicants. Although the people in the admissions office are friendly it seems as though they dish out a lot of false hope and false information.

This year, there are people on LSN that have been accepted to RutCam without having applied! Meanwhile, the people in the admissions office will tell waitlist candidates that all the seat deposits are in and you will only get a seat if someone either withdraws or doesn't show. You can draw your own conclusions why RutCam does this.

The point of this is: the rumors are that in the past they waitlist you as a courtesy but then never admit anyone off of the waitlist.

Isnt this the same with most schools though?  Don't most generally waitlist a lot of people and then only take you off if a spot opens up by someone withdrawing at the last minute?

Agreed but I believe there is more to a waitlist than last minute withdrawls from accepted students. Waitlists around the country are already moving and it is not "last minute." I would consider last minute to be the 1st week in August.

I'm still amazed that people who haven't applied, or even considered the school, are getting accepted automatically before someone on the waitlist. Why do these obviously available seats (even though admissions staff say there are more deposits in than there are seats) not go to those on the waitlist? Needless to say I'm very happy that I got off the waitlist at Widener but if Widener practiced this in their admissions process I'd be pissed/dissapointed.