Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2009  (Read 28423 times)

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
Re: Class of 2009
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2006, 01:07:34 AM »
DO NOT GO TO WIDENER! I realize you think that hard work automatically pays off but there are plenty of law student's at Widener that bust their asses for 3 years only to be unable to find a job that can pay off their debt. The only trial law you will practice out of Widner is some DUI cases and a whole lot of personal injury. If you are really lucky, maybe some wrongful death. Sounds like a great career. Good luck!
wrongful death only hmm, lets look at some powerhouse philly firms and see if there's any widener grads there.
So here's my research
Cozen & O'Conner                     22 attorneys
White & Williams                     32 attorneys
Saul Ewing                           14 attorneys
Wolf Block Shor & Solis-Cohen         7 attorneys
Pepper Hamilton                       4 attorneys
Blank Rome                           11 attorneys
Drinker Biddle and Reathe             5 attorneys
Ballard Spahr Andrews & Ingersoll    11 attorneys
Duane Morris                          5 attorneys
Dechert                               3 attorneys

http://www.ilrg.com/nlj250/office/desc/2
there's the list i found all my data on, i checked the philadelphia office locations of the largest 250 firms in the US.  So it is possible for widener grads to get into BIGlaw. 

Touche, sir.

rodney

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2006, 09:13:56 AM »
Agreed. As further proof, I was just named Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.  That other guy is just fronting for me.

Now given the infinite wisdom required of such a position, I recommend we drop this thread and move on to something more interesting and relevant.  monika has already had enough laughs getting us cranked, and we don't need to waste the summer proving what we do know to someone  we don't.

wrongful death only hmm, lets look at some powerhouse philly firms and see if there's any widener grads there.
So here's my research
...<SNIP>

Kazzzzzzzzaaam

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2006, 09:43:45 AM »
DO NOT GO TO WIDENER! I realize you think that hard work automatically pays off but there are plenty of law student's at Widener that bust their asses for 3 years only to be unable to find a job that can pay off their debt. The only trial law you will practice out of Widner is some DUI cases and a whole lot of personal injury. If you are really lucky, maybe some wrongful death. Sounds like a great career. Good luck!

wow, thats interesting.  I better tell the lead attorney who I have been assisting the past couple months that the big patent dispute case with the fortune 500 companies that he is working on shouldn't be handled by him, as he went to Widener.  I'm sure he'll be pissed he was on the Delaware Journal of Corporate Law, and now there has been some mistake...  At least I won't have to stay late nights preparing for next week's depositions!  Thanks for the relief!  So, how is WUSTL?  Man, I should tell the guy in the office with summer associateships from Widener that they are occupying the offices of a "T14" Student who was top half of their class, even though the Widener ones are top 10% at a local school.  What a mixup that has been occuring!  Better let the hiring attorney know, that his job should be void, as he is a Widener alumnus as well, that he should cease his partnership, and open a yellow pages DUI boutique.  Better yet, maybe a late night local cable add!  Oh wait, thats right, I remember the guy plastered all over that late night ad... he went to TTTexas, and wasn't in the top 15%, OUCH should've stuck it out in the Lonestar state

Megan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2006, 09:28:36 PM »
So here's my research
Saul Ewing                           14 attorneys
Wolf Block Shor & Solis-Cohen         7 attorneys
Pepper Hamilton                       4 attorneys
Blank Rome                           11 attorneys
Drinker Biddle and Reathe             5 attorneys
Ballard Spahr Andrews & Ingersoll    11 attorneys
Duane Morris                          5 attorneys
Dechert                               3 attorneys

http://www.ilrg.com/nlj250/office/desc/2
there's the list i found all my data on, i checked the philadelphia office locations of the largest 250 firms in the US.  So it is possible for widener grads to get into BIGlaw. 

You'll go to biglaw only if you are in the top 5% after your first year at Widener. Good luck!

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2006, 10:26:03 PM »
Yes, I'm in Sect. C for Leg Meth, Civ Pro, Torts. D3 for Prop I.
Can't see class list for Leg Meth, probably not up yet.  Didn't see you on my other class lists tho.

thanks, i was really hoping they didn't put that class in on a friday, so now that's cool.  are you in section c rodney?

I mirror you except I'm D1 for prop
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

Kazzzzzzzzaaam

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2006, 09:38:54 AM »
You'll go to biglaw only if you are in the top 5% after your first year at Widener. Good luck!
[/quote]

Local BIGlaw requires top 10% + LR and/or Moot Court, just like they do from Villanova, Temple, Rutgers, Penn State, and now Drexel.  UPenn requires top 1/3 + either LR, Moot Court, or a 3rd Cir., or District Ct. JLC.  Again, this is Wilmington BIGlaw, which is >>>>>Philly BIGlaw. 

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2006, 11:28:23 AM »
is it really worth arguing? We all came to the decision to go to our respective schools after great deliberation.  Anyone willing to invest $30,000 a year into their own education, especially at this later age, has done so after weighing out all the options.  I'm going to Widener because it's a good school, it's close to home, and I've spoken to many local lawyers who respect the institution. Every year the DE bar rate goes up, and I've heard from students who are going there that the teachers are tough, but phenomenal. That being said, I'm sure anyone going anywhere else has gone through the same trouble and would/should respect the decision that any other fellow 0L has come to.  Anyone who doesn't, has some issues that they need to work through.  If you make wild claims with no basis in fact, you'll have problems in law school.  If you can't learn to work with others/interact with people, law school is pointless for you.  Whatever the issues are, I will not be deterred by some misanthrope with too much time coming on this board or any other.  That being said, can I maybe get some agreement to just ignore any other idiotic comments we see here?  Grats to all of us on getting into lawschool, I look forward to meeting all you guys/gals this August. 
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

cchamra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2006, 12:56:39 PM »
I have also found it totally ridiculous that people find time to bash others schools, especially at this age.  Thus, I agree to ignore from now on as well.  Anyway, my financial information has not been posted yet, but since yours has been I will be expecting it to show up in a few days.

cchamra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2006, 12:58:21 PM »
Ah on second look, I realized you said to do it by year so I rechecked and yes, it is there.

JPen

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2006, 02:23:36 PM »
Well I just have my grant information and no other financial aid info.  I hope nothing went  wrong with it.