Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hastings Class of 2009?  (Read 43314 times)

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: Hastings Class of 2009?
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2006, 01:35:27 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa whats all this stuff about the curve?  Were we mislead at the admitted students day?

One of the professors explained that the curve is structured so the top 20% get As, next 40% get Bs, and the bottom 40% get Cs with no mandatory Ds.  I understood this to mean that 60% of students in a class scored over a C.

Now Im hearing that 50%+ of students get a C of some sort?

This kind of perturbs me.

I think gumby's figures are a little off.
I've heard different things about whether we have a B curve or a B-curve, but the professor has a lot of liberty w/grading as long as it averages out to the target number.  Some teachers grade to the top of the curve, which would be somewhere around the figures you have credo. HOWEVER, some teachers are less generous with As.
There are probably just a handful, if any, sub-C grades in any section of 80 students. A student can't even graduate from hastings w/out a > 2.0 GPA. I think it's 2.2 or somewhere in that range.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

credo_pirata

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2006, 02:20:08 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa whats all this stuff about the curve?  Were we mislead at the admitted students day?

One of the professors explained that the curve is structured so the top 20% get As, next 40% get Bs, and the bottom 40% get Cs with no mandatory Ds.  I understood this to mean that 60% of students in a class scored over a C.

Now Im hearing that 50%+ of students get a C of some sort?

This kind of perturbs me.

I think gumby's figures are a little off.
I've heard different things about whether we have a B curve or a B-curve, but the professor has a lot of liberty w/grading as long as it averages out to the target number.  Some teachers grade to the top of the curve, which would be somewhere around the figures you have credo. HOWEVER, some teachers are less generous with As.
There are probably just a handful, if any, sub-C grades in any section of 80 students. A student can't even graduate from hastings w/out a > 2.0 GPA. I think it's 2.2 or somewhere in that range.

Alright, thanks DB youve been a wealth of knowledge as always, quells the beast in me that starts to rumble when I think about having  a C curve.

gumby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2006, 04:16:07 PM »
99% of students would agree with me that it is very difficult to get B's.  Regardless of the details of the curve, it is a feat.  I may be wrong about the curve, then again I may be more right about it than you think.  I was only trying to emphasize that it is important to maintain a lifestyle that schedules time for real life.  Grades are not a good metric for happiness and happiness is not something you want to lose for 3 years.  Law school is hard enough.  Doing it while depressed would be terrible. 

For most classes, the grade you get comes only from the final test.  Each final for each class ranges between 3-4 hours long (think an LSAT for each class).  They are a pain in the ass.  By the time that last final rolls around, you will most likely just want the shitstorm to be over and pass.  At least I did, and it seems like the woman who posted pictures of her room on her blog did too.

credo_pirata

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2006, 04:33:17 PM »
Well I got a room in the Tower today on the 11th floor.

I was sort of looking forward to getting a two bedroom place off campus with my buddy but I think this will just be easier and more convenient. Though move in isnt until the secnond week of August :o

SteeevO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2006, 05:26:09 PM »

I was sort of looking forward to getting a two bedroom place off campus with my buddy but I think this will just be easier and more convenient. Though move in isnt until the secnond week of August :o

Thought you said you wanted to move earlier?

Are the move-in dates all taken?

credo_pirata

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2006, 07:22:53 PM »

Thought you said you wanted to move earlier?

Are the move-in dates all taken?

I did want to move in earlier but theres someone subletting the place for the summer.

lww02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2006, 11:12:56 PM »
just saying hello. count me in for hastings!
LSN lww02

SteeevO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2006, 03:01:51 AM »
just saying hello. count me in for hastings!

Welcome lww02! see you in a month!

SteeevO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2006, 04:07:46 PM »
Got this yesterday, anyone going?

Congratulations on your recent admission to UC Hastings!

Please save the date and plan to attend the Orange County New Student
Welcome Reception on Thursday, July 27 from 5:30 - 7:00 p.m. at
McCormick & Schmick's (2000 Main Street in Irvine). Academic Shauna
Marshall will be there to welcome you. Meet Hastings alums who can
share their experiences at Hastings.

Your invitation should be in the mail in the next few days.  You can
RSVP by email to alumni@uchastings.edu or in a few days check out the
alumni event calendar at www.uchastings.edu.

Hope to see you on the 27th!

credo_pirata

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »
The L.A. reception is at an Alums house in Beverly Hills, cocktails and horderves, very prestigious.