Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Lawyer Movie  (Read 3629 times)

VinnyMyCousin

• Sr. Citizen
  • Say you'll do the job.
    • View Profile
Re: Best Lawyer Movie
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2005, 08:57:30 PM »

LaneSwerver

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2005, 10:22:50 PM »
I forget the name of this one but it starred Paul Newman as an alcoholic lawyer with a big case against the Catholic Church involving a hospital; made in the 70s.  Anyone know, I'd like to rent it again, it was really good.

the verdict?

Way to go, sport. Quick on the keyboard.

bloomich

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2005, 10:31:12 PM »
Yo, Angela.

I think if law school doesn't work out I'm going to do a cultural theory MA/PHD w/a focus on the sexual repression and anxiety of influence  that the Tony/Angela dynamic imposed on Jonathan's budding sexuality. in the later of season's on the show.

Or not. :)

I like to think that I influenced this decision, as I introduced Tony to this thread... I expect a shout out in the ensuing publication...

legallady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2005, 11:38:50 AM »

Oh, Tony Danza. Hold me closer, Tony Danza...

Oh girl, we are so on the same wavelength right now.  That is, assuming you were singing Elton John in your head when you wrote this.  ;)

Hell yes I was!! I'm glad SOMEBODY knew what I was talking about and didn't think I was just verbalizing my Who's the Boss fantasies. Not that we don't all have them from time to time ;)

"Hold me closer, Tony Danzaaaaaa
Count the headlights on the hiiiiiighwaaaaaay"
In: NOWHERE!
Waitlist: GW, Fordham, American
Out: Ha! Many... but let's focus on the semi-positive at this point, shall we?

Coyote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2005, 12:52:30 PM »
Otter: Point of parliamentary procedure!
Hoover: Don't screw around, they're serious this time!
Otter: Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon: I thought you were pre-med.
Otter: What's the difference?
[Addressing the room]
Otter: Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests - we did.
[winks at Dean Wormer]
Otter: But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

mrizzle

• Gin. It's what's for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2005, 09:27:01 PM »
hands down, The Rainmaker.

Mickey Rouke's "Bruizer" stole the show and makes me laugh just thinking about him.
Will be attending: Chapman

yes: syracuse, Chapman (11k), Whittier (11k), Cal Western, Thomas Jefferson (14k)

take a hike: catholic, UNLV, USD

Wait List: depaul, southwestern

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2005, 09:37:49 PM »
I guess there is lots of love for the Grisham movies on this board.  I never really liked any of them.  They tend to be melodrama based around a fairly simplistic moral or ethical issue.  I have never read one of his books however.  Are they any good?  I always dismissed them as pop fiction, and I usually stay away from that.

Another great movie: "M".  It is not really a lawyer movie, but it is a great movie from a criminology standpoint.  I just picked up "Metropolis" on DVD today, so I am on somewhat of a Fritz Lang kick.

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nolegirl290@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2005, 09:37:14 AM »
I guess there is lots of love for the Grisham movies on this board. I never really liked any of them. They tend to be melodrama based around a fairly simplistic moral or ethical issue. I have never read one of his books however. Are they any good? I always dismissed them as pop fiction, and I usually stay away from that.

Another great movie: "M". It is not really a lawyer movie, but it is a great movie from a criminology standpoint. I just picked up "Metropolis" on DVD today, so I am on somewhat of a Fritz Lang kick.

I used to love the books but I have since moved on to other authors. I think the movies are mentioned here because obviously they are all "lawyer movies." I agree they are not deep thinking movies but they are entertaining (some anyway) and that is all one can ask of Hollywood these days.
I know it has been said here before but "To Kill a Mockingbird" really is a great great movie. Atticus Finch is a great character.
Tony:"So your not gonna go to law school? What do you wanna do then?"
Mike:"I wanna dance!"

Elvis

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2005, 10:33:56 AM »
 :)

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2005, 11:43:28 AM »
A Civil Action.  I have not seen the movie(starring Travolta), but the book is great (it is required reading in some 1L programs actually).