Law School Discussion

Best Lawyer Movie

Re: Best Lawyer Movie
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2005, 02:35:52 PM »
Yeah, I'm with the hate for "A Time to Kill". 

I also gotta say "12 Angry Men" as one of the best.  It may not have any actual lawyers lawying in it, but it is a great commentary n some flaws that could exist in our jury system.  Great acting all around as well.

That's a great movie too. I don't think it's supposed to be about the flaws in our system though.  The whole point of the film is that small mindedness will be overcome by a diverse group of jurors that take the process seriously. Although the writer/director has a weird idea of diversity.It's a nice idea but:
-Even in 1957 the jury pool would have had at least a few women and some people of color. It wasn't a diverse group of people. It's a white 1957 male's idea of diversity.:-)
-Several of the jurors probably wouldn't have made it through selections

Even so,it's one of my favorite films. :)

I agree that the small mindedness was overcome, but I always felt that while the 11 non-Henry-Fonda jurors were the "diverse" average jurors that would be found in most juries, Henry Fonda was a hero who could only exist in a movie.  In real life, he would not have been there, and the apathetic guilty plea would have gone through. 

Despite all the racism on that jury, I find Jack Warden's (a.k.a. Tony Danza's) juror the most reprehensible.  The ease with which he can send a man to death so that he can get outta there and to his game is frightening.  And probably realistic among jurors today.

In the spirit of the thread, and of Henry Fonda: "The Wrong Man".

I personally think the point the film was trying to make is that when we take the system seriously, justice will prevail-no matter how poorly the odds are stacked against you. The defendant's lawyer did not take the case seriously. So, having a poor jury pool is probable(although I still can't quite wrap my head around how some of the more overtly racist characters would have made through even the most lax jury process). Having Fonda's character is a stroke of dumb luck. Ideally, there would be more like him(open-minded,taking the process seriously).

One of my friend's at Suffolk actually watched 12 Angry Men for one of her law classes. Fonda was presented as the prototype of the ideal juror. I thought that was pretty neat. :-)

All this TOny Danza talk makes me want to make Who's the Boss jokes.

Abevigoda

• You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2005, 02:38:44 PM »
Yo, Angela.

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2005, 02:42:43 PM »
What about Richard Gere and Ed Norton in Primal Fear?  Norton is at his best as the innocent altar boy, right up until the end..

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2005, 02:43:57 PM »
One of my friend's at Suffolk actually watched 12 Angry Men for one of her law classes. Fonda was presented as the prototype of the ideal juryor. I thought that was pretty neat. :-)

I watched it in a social psychology class.  We had to choose a single juror (other that Fonda) and explain why they switched their vote.  I chose the advertising exec that changed his vote like three times.

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2005, 02:45:46 PM »
Yo, Angela.

I think if law school doesn't work out I'm going to do a cultural theory MA/PHD w/a focus on the sexual repression and anxiety of influence  that the Tony/Angela dynamic imposed on Jonathan's budding sexuality. in the later of season's on the show.

Or not. :)

thefaceman

• I saved Latin. What did you ever do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2005, 03:21:01 PM »
Yo, Angela.

I think if law school doesn't work out I'm going to do a cultural theory MA/PHD w/a focus on the sexual repression and anxiety of influence  that the Tony/Angela dynamic imposed on Jonathan's budding sexuality. in the later of season's on the show.

Or not. :)

I went to scout camp with Jonathan, he looked at weird in the shower...perv

Dominique

• I am Mighty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2005, 03:26:16 PM »

Oh, Tony Danza. Hold me closer, Tony Danza...

Oh girl, we are so on the same wavelength right now.  That is, assuming you were singing Elton John in your head when you wrote this.  ;)

mxpocc

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2005, 05:36:55 PM »
I forget the name of this one but it starred Paul Newman as an alcoholic lawyer with a big case against the Catholic Church involving a hospital; made in the 70s.  Anyone know, I'd like to rent it again, it was really good.

the verdict?

Abevigoda

• You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2005, 05:51:22 PM »
Thanks, but the question was answered earlier in the thread, immediately following my original post.

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2005, 05:56:25 PM »
I forget the name of this one but it starred Paul Newman as an alcoholic lawyer with a big case against the Catholic Church involving a hospital; made in the 70s.  Anyone know, I'd like to rent it again, it was really good.

The Color of Money?