Law School Discussion

Best Lawyer Movie

Re: Best Lawyer Movie
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2005, 04:08:22 AM »
I will throw out "The Paper Chase" even though it is a law school movie.

already been thrown, buddy

Erapitt

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2005, 06:04:18 AM »
I am currently reading "A Civil Action" and it is fantastic.  I will def. watch the movie after reading the book.

For those that want to watch Devils Advocate and have Digital cable with HBO:  Its on demand this month.  Free if you have HBO.

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2005, 06:13:28 AM »
I'm a fan of films that showcase how the law must be applied to everyone equally,no matter what the social circumstances might otherwise dictate. (Ie, I really hate A Time to Kill)

1. Judgment at Nuremberg
2. Adam's Rib

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2005, 06:34:31 AM »
Yeah, I'm with the hate for "A Time to Kill". 

I also gotta say "12 Angry Men" as one of the best.  It may not have any actual lawyers lawying in it, but it is a great commentary on some flaws that could exist in our jury system.  Great acting all around as well.

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2005, 06:42:34 AM »
I'll add Amistad. Anthony Hopkins as John Quincy Adams was perfect.

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2005, 06:49:09 AM »

I also gotta say "12 Angry Men" as one of the best.  It may not have any actual lawyers lawying in it, but it is a great commentary on some flaws that could exist in our jury system.  Great acting all around as well.

That's a great movie too. I don't think it's supposed to be about the flaws in our system though.  The whole point of the film is that small mindedness will be overcome by a diverse group of jurors that take the process seriously. Although the writer/director has a weird idea of diversity.It's a nice idea but:
-Even in 1957 the jury pool would have had at least a few women and some people of color. It wasn't a diverse group of people. It's a white 1957 male's idea of diversity.:-)
-Several of the jurors probably wouldn't have made it through selections

Even so,it's one of my favorite films. :)

mxpocc

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2005, 06:53:58 AM »
In the Name of the Father (1993)

Don't know if it's the best, but it's damn good

oh, and The Firm w/ tom cruise, because he's f'ing hot ;)

bloomich

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2005, 07:25:03 AM »

That's a great movie too. I don't think it's supposed to be about the flaws in our system though.  The whole point of the film is that small mindedness will be overcome by a diverse group of jurors that take the process seriously. Although the writer/director has a weird idea of diversity.It's a nice idea but:
-Even in 1957 the jury pool would have had at least a few women and some people of color. It wasn't a diverse group of people. It's a white 1957 male's idea of diversity.:-)
-Several of the jurors probably wouldn't have made it through selections

Even so,it's one of my favorite films. :)

yea... Tony Danza just really wanted to go to his baseball game... prick

Abevigoda

• You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2005, 09:45:09 AM »
I forget the name of this one but it starred Paul Newman as an alcoholic lawyer with a big case against the Catholic Church involving a hospital; made in the 70s.  Anyone know, I'd like to rent it again, it was really good.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2005, 09:47:19 AM »
I forget the name of this one but it starred Paul Newman as an alcoholic lawyer with a big case against the Catholic Church involving a hospital; made in the 70s.  Anyone know, I'd like to rent it again, it was really good.

The Verdict

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084855/