Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gilbert vs. E&E  (Read 2342 times)

evergreatful

• View Profile
Gilbert vs. E&E
« on: May 01, 2006, 08:32:53 PM »
Which one do you all feel offers the better products??? Thanks!!!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Gilbert vs. E&E
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 09:11:02 PM »
Depends on what you want, as they're totally different.  I prefer E&E's to any commercial outline.  But if I do use an outline, I generally perfer Emanuel's.

LTM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 09:27:10 PM »
E&E varies in quality from subject to subject, but generally speaking they give a decent, but very basic, overview of the law. I have found them useful to acheive a B- or B level of understanding, but don't count on them for much more than that.

The table of contents of your casebook combined with the course syllabus is the best outline to use.

The Lexis Nexis "Understanding _______" books can also be pretty good.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 02:22:03 AM »
Honestly, don't bother with either of them. You can make great grades if you just pay attention in class and actually read and analyze the material in your casebook.

You do this and you can also save yourself some money. You have enough reading to do without resorting to any of the commercial garbage. Also, a lot of times the commercial material will conflict with what your professor says.

But this is just my opinion. I know people that live by Emanuals and E&E. However, they also seem to be on ESPN and IMing people a lot in class as well.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 02:49:00 AM »
Depends on the subject.

The recommendations in Law School Confidential are pretty solid:

Contracts - Emanuels
Torts - Gilberts; E&E
Property - Gilberts
Civ Pro - Emanuels; E&E
Con Law - Emanuels
Crim Law - Gilberts

I strongly agree with E&E on Civ Pro and Contracts Emanuels (and probably Emanuels Con Law as well -- haven't had much time to use it though). Torts E&E and Gilberts are good, not amazing though). The rest are decent. Many people rave about Gilberts Property but my prof's teaching doesn't coincide well with it.

It depends a lot on your prof. Some profs teach pretty much straight from a hornbook.

egbrown76

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 08:54:43 AM »
First, DO read the outlines/study guides. Second, I prefer E&E - I hardly ever use Gilberts. The Lexis Understanding series is excellent - great for upper level coures in particular. For Con. Law, you HAVE to get Chemerinsky.

LostMyMonkeys

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 09:00:18 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of those huge commercial outlines. I have the BarBri first year book, and I also have some PMBR ones, which I tend to prefer because they are more managable. I barely open the BarBri one. I also like the Lexis outlines you can pull off the Lexis site. Quick and to the point, giving you the basics.

I LOVE my E&Es. I don't have them for all the classes but I can tell you its been my life saver in Criminal Law. Its like its verbatim out of the professor's head (and he admits he hasn't even opened it) so I guess I got lucky with that one.
I think they are great for other classes too.
Nice ass won't get you through your whole life. When you turn 30 you better have a personality

lakerat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 12:49:33 PM »
try wikipedia, it's great for some stuff... and free.

egbrown76

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 01:53:09 PM »
Yeah, all in all, as a 3rd year, I can say that by far E&E have been the best - and DO THE EXAMPLE PROBLEMS . . . it makes a difference. In particular, the E&E for Civ. Pro. by Glannon is essential. In fact, it's so good my first year CivPro professor made it a required text! E&E for Contracts is also excellent. And, again, Chemerinsky is the Con Law bible for first year law students (at least at my school).

bruin04

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 01:59:14 PM »
Glannon (E&E) is essential for Civ Pro.