Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: attending  (Read 7187 times)

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
attending
« on: April 30, 2006, 01:18:31 PM »
anyone alive in here and planning to attend or attending L& C?
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

phosita

• View Profile
Re: attending
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 06:54:44 PM »
I attend - just finished 1st year.
As to alive - barely. :)

oh

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 07:41:30 PM »
I heard you folks have a C/C- curve, is that BS?

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 07:43:50 PM »
Damn.  A C- curve is harsh.  C+ bad enough.

phosita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 10:30:44 PM »
I heard you folks have a C/C- curve, is that BS?

I think each prof can set it to whatever they want as long as it's under a B.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 12:21:03 PM »
From what I heard at L & C, that is not true... it is by class.
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

denk

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - music_art_pdx
    • View Profile
    • My Pre-law blog
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 02:52:51 AM »

Hi.  I'm seriously thinking of going to L&C.  I've lived in Portland for 5 years, on the East Side.

I've never been in a school with an imposed curve like this.  Does it produce weird competitive behavior in the students?  I've heard that L&C is a pretty friendly and supportive environment amongst the students.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 03:08:13 AM »
i wonder what effect this curve (less than a 'B') has on graduate employment prospects?  this might be why so many of their grads end up taking low paying gov't and county prosecutor/pd jobs.  that's kind of a scary proposition considering the 130k debt potential. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

denk

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - music_art_pdx
    • View Profile
    • My Pre-law blog
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 03:48:16 AM »
i wonder what effect this curve (less than a 'B') has on graduate employment prospects?  this might be why so many of their grads end up taking low paying gov't and county prosecutor/pd jobs. 

I'm guessing that's not the case - because for those in schools with harder curves, you could just focus on your class rank instead, which isn't affected.  Just guessing, though.

phosita

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 12:49:46 PM »

Hi.  I'm seriously thinking of going to L&C.  I've lived in Portland for 5 years, on the East Side.

I've never been in a school with an imposed curve like this.  Does it produce weird competitive behavior in the students?  I've heard that L&C is a pretty friendly and supportive environment amongst the students.

The curve isn't really a big deal, in my opinion. Especially since there will be a curve no matter where you go to law school (as far as I know) it's not something I'd worry about. I didn't notice any weird competitive behaviour, in fact just the opposite - everyone always seemed very supportive and helpful.

Also I described the curve slightly incorrectly here:

After I posted that I remembered that my contracts prof. had set the average at a B so I went back and checked the manual. Each prof. can set it to whatever they want as long as it's no higher than a B (so the average can be up to a B - there are exceptions for seminar classes, etc but that's the general rule).

I love it at L&C so far, but it's the only school I applied to so it's tough to say how it compares to other law schools.

As to post-graduation jobs, I think a larger than average portion of L&C students go there looking to do government or public service work (e.g. more than half the people in my orientation group were planning on focusing on enviornmental law) which might account for what shaz was talking about (I don't know the statistics so I'm just guessing).