Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone coming to SCU this year??  (Read 12212 times)

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone coming to SCU this year??
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 08:59:49 PM »
LSD SCU bar run, I'm totally down.

I move into the Villa's on Aug. 1st, if anyone wants to chill before then I'm totally down, I'm from LA and I know no one up north now.

Villus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 10:38:02 PM »

And one more thing. When you start school in august, you will see other students rushing and standing in line for an hour to pay 120 dollars for each of their 6 textbooks (and at the end of the semester finding that they can only sell them back for less than half). DO NOT DO THIS. If you do, you wil be wasting a HUGE amount of money. I paid about 1/3 of the total cost of my books by buying them online, including shipping. I got all of the current editions and there were no marks in the books. The books will be in the library weeks before school begins. You can order them online and have them by the time school starts. So make sure you look at places like Half.com and Amazon.com. I can't tell you how surprised I was to see that so FEW other students even thought about buying used books. I guess they had money to burn.

HTH

I always do this, yet I thought they tell you what class you are in, at orientation, just a few days before classes start.  I know the books are at the library, but if everyone does the same thing, we will not all have a book to read.

Am I wrong, do they give you the classes earlier? (I hope)

I am not even thinking about selling them back, I think that idea to "gut" the books and put the relevent info in binders will be the best way to go, I am planning on living in the Villa apt., even though I don't know how long the walk is, I know with the laptop etc. 5 heavy books won't be fun to lug around.

Yes, you are right, this year they told us which section we were in around orientation time. But orientation is a week before class starts. So if you order your books on monday, you probably would only have to wait a week and a half to get the books, or you could expidite them for a little extra. I had two of my six books not arrive by the time class started, but I simply used the books that they have in the library for a few days. It's really not that big of a deal if you don't have your book for a few classes, trust me.

Also, I did take all of my books to FedEx Kinkos and had the spine removed so that I could take them in small (usually only that week's readings) sections. It was a life saver. I did not have to lug around those stupid rolling bookbags or hurt my back with a ginormous backpack full of huge books, a computer, and God knows what else. I also stopped taking my computer to class around the second week. It was a total waste of time. Most people just play games or IM or whatever on their computers. And don't buy an Apple because it won't accept the school's exam software. A couple of people bought new Apples and then had to buy a cheap PC from Walmart or whereever to use for exams.

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 03:26:18 AM »

And one more thing. When you start school in august, you will see other students rushing and standing in line for an hour to pay 120 dollars for each of their 6 textbooks (and at the end of the semester finding that they can only sell them back for less than half). DO NOT DO THIS. If you do, you wil be wasting a HUGE amount of money. I paid about 1/3 of the total cost of my books by buying them online, including shipping. I got all of the current editions and there were no marks in the books. The books will be in the library weeks before school begins. You can order them online and have them by the time school starts. So make sure you look at places like Half.com and Amazon.com. I can't tell you how surprised I was to see that so FEW other students even thought about buying used books. I guess they had money to burn.

HTH

I always do this, yet I thought they tell you what class you are in, at orientation, just a few days before classes start.  I know the books are at the library, but if everyone does the same thing, we will not all have a book to read.

Am I wrong, do they give you the classes earlier? (I hope)

I am not even thinking about selling them back, I think that idea to "gut" the books and put the relevent info in binders will be the best way to go, I am planning on living in the Villa apt., even though I don't know how long the walk is, I know with the laptop etc. 5 heavy books won't be fun to lug around.

Yes, you are right, this year they told us which section we were in around orientation time. But orientation is a week before class starts. So if you order your books on monday, you probably would only have to wait a week and a half to get the books, or you could expidite them for a little extra. I had two of my six books not arrive by the time class started, but I simply used the books that they have in the library for a few days. It's really not that big of a deal if you don't have your book for a few classes, trust me.

Also, I did take all of my books to FedEx Kinkos and had the spine removed so that I could take them in small (usually only that week's readings) sections. It was a life saver. I did not have to lug around those stupid rolling bookbags or hurt my back with a ginormous backpack full of huge books, a computer, and God knows what else. I also stopped taking my computer to class around the second week. It was a total waste of time. Most people just play games or IM or whatever on their computers. And don't buy an Apple because it won't accept the school's exam software. A couple of people bought new Apples and then had to buy a cheap PC from Walmart or whereever to use for exams.

What about having the notes typed up to C&P to your outline?  That didn't help? 

My handwriting SUCKS, so I think I'll bring my laptop (plus if I'm bored, I want to be able to go online  ;D)

I was gonna ask you what backpack you used since I am looking at laptop backpacks that could also hold the books, that's why I'll gut my books to put them in smaller binders.

Villus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 11:00:00 PM »
Honestly, I had a handwritten outline, and I took my notes by hand, so I did not use my cumputer much at all.
Class can be a place where many things arfe clarified and explained. You really should not be bored unless you absolutely hate the professor. I used a regular backpack. It was pretty lite.

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 07:24:09 PM »
Off topic...

but I just have celebrate somewhere... I just had my private loans approved on the first try (and it wasn't a given, I used to have really bad credit)

So now that all the $ part is all taken care of, I look forward to quiting my job (in 58 days, but who's counting?) and kicking some ass in school...

I hope everyone has smooth financial aid sailing...

davfeld

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 05:43:16 PM »
I'm going to SCU this fall.  I live in San Francisco and not sure when I'm going to come up.  Depends on when I quit my job.  I'm down for a pub crawl as well since I won't be doing too many of those in school.  Well I say that now.  My e-mail is davfeld@gmail.  Ciao

Surreal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 03:44:57 AM »
I too will be at SCU in August. I'm down for a meet and greet beforehand...ysglenn@hotmail.com
Yes: Arizona State, Santa Clara ($$)
No: Colorado, Illinois, Seattle, Temple, Loyola - L.A.
Hold/Wait: Wisconsin, Villanova, McGeorge
Pending: Lewis & Clark

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 02:32:23 PM »
Cool... Since I'm moving down on the 1st, I'll coordinate something and email you cats info...

Alchemist

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 06:41:40 AM »
I'm also attending SCU in the fall. I have lived in Southern California my whole life so I am a bit nervous about attending school so far away in the bay area. I am lost on what to do from here on out, I just plan on meeting with counselors after my finals are over (I attend UCI). Anyone wanting to chat please IM me at Aich3mlst

Hopefully we can all get together and go out for drinks/dinner during early August.
Thanks.

davfeld

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 07:38:56 PM »
How is everyone's rental situation?  I haven't started looking for a place yet but if anyone wants to look for a place with me I'd be down.  (davfeld@gmail.com)