Law School Discussion

LEEWS

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: LEEWS
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 01:48:40 PM »
I really recommend that you do not waste your money on this system or if you must, find it used.  Your legal research and writing class will teach you how to write and take exams.

I agree that your legal writing professor can be a good resource for exams.  However, if it were true in most cases, then every law student would know how to write an exam and write it well, since EVERY law student must take legal writing.  I think the vast majority of 1Ls would agree that this isn't the case AT ALL.  Telling someone what IRAC stands for, and how to apply IRAC in the context of a legal memo that covers depth of analysis, NOT breadth, isn't exactly teaching someone how to write an effective law school exam.  And while you apparently had an excellent legal writing professor - and I did as well - it seems that there are many more horrible legal writing teachers out there than really great ones.

Buying LEEWS used is definitely the way to go though, as it is very expensive.  Or try to get a couple people together to go in on it.  That's what I did.  But kudos to you, sharmaine, if you decide to donate yours to the library. I'm sure there will be an ample number of future 1Ls at your school that will appreciate it.  I know I would have if it had been an option.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 02:51:37 PM »
"I agree that your legal writing professor can be a good resource for exams.  However, if it were true in most cases, then every law student would know how to write an exam and write it well, since EVERY law student must take legal writing".

I think we're on the same page. But just to clarify, I do not think buying a system OR attending legal writing class makes one a good writer on its own.  NOTHING is going to make EVERY law student become an excellent exam writer or any other sort of writer. That takes practice like everything else. Some people get better at it faster than others.  But yes, your legal writing Prof. is going to be a good resource.  Just do yourelf a favor and wait before you buy anything. 

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 09:21:32 PM »
I'm almost a 3L and, looking back, LEEWS was moderately helpful and extremely comforting.  The MOST important thing to take out of the LEEWS system is its shtick on "conflict pairs."  Every legal matter takes place between two parties, so when you go through an exam hypo. you must look for instances in which two parties disagree.  It isn't foolproof (especially for a class like Con Law or where there are only two parties involved), but it got me into the top 20% of my class.