Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possible to transfer from P/T to F/T @ different school?  (Read 611 times)

decafpoetess

• View Profile
    • Email
Possible to transfer from P/T to F/T @ different school?
« on: April 28, 2006, 10:23:34 AM »
Hello All-

I just got into Brooklyn Law P/T evening after being on the waitlist for F/T. I'm also on the waitlist for F/T Cardozo & St. John's & STILL deferred @ F/T Rugers-Newark. If I am waitlisted @ Newark in the next few days, I will go to Brooklyn Law. If I get into Newark F/T, I'll probably go there. My ultimate goal is to transfer out of wherever I am and go to either Fordham or NYU. My question is, is it possible to transfer from P/T to F/T at a different school? Has this been done before or is it not allowed?

egbrown76

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Possible to transfer from P/T to F/T @ different school?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 08:06:13 PM »
I seriously doubt that most schools care if the program you are transfering FROM was PT or FT. This might be a factor in determining the context of your first-year success (fewer coures making it easier to have a high GPA) but other than that they probably won't care.

Bobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 08:47:51 PM »
Sure it is possible, but I wouldn't really count on it.  I think it is a good idea to like wherever you go, because you can't really expect to be able to transfer.

There is a transfer apps group on Yahoo where you can get an idea of what you need to to do transfer.

Everyone from Brooklyn who got into NYU was top 7% or above.  I didn't see anyone who applied to Fordham, but I would assume that you would have to be pretty high in the class as well.

I don't mean to discourage too much, but people often start law school and think that they can transfer, when transferring is really difficult and not that common.  So I hope you like Brooklyn, just in case.  I have a buddy who goes and loves it.

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 10:50:55 PM »
You can usually switch to FT at your school after the first year, but when transfering most schools want you to have finished all 1L courses as they do not have room in those courses for another student.  As a PT student I would doubt they will accept you simply bc you would still need to take 1L courses and they do not have room in those courses.  I am sure there are exceptions so I would contact the school.

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 12:28:47 AM »
it's not that difficult to do if you have the grades. having a certain number of credits is just a technical detail that varies from school to school. about half of the t14 takes transfer students who started PT. i have no idea about the rest of tier 1, but those with PT programs, such as my own school, could care less. usually this information is available on each school's web page.

as a side note (and i'm sorry to tell you this), but if you started PT, NYU is out of the question. fordham, which has a PT program, shouldn't be a problem.

also, don't go to a school you don't want to be at with the intent of transferring. the posts on this thread are absolutley correct about that.
GW