Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: We're almost done with 1L year!  (Read 1018 times)

inthesun

• View Profile
We're almost done with 1L year!
« on: April 27, 2006, 08:54:34 PM »
Wow!  It went by so fast, I can't believe that the *hardest* year is almost over.  After all that hype, it's finally going to be behind us.  And we're all alive!!!  Hopefully...

dmitrik4

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: We're almost done with 1L year!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 09:57:03 PM »
congratulations...the hardest year is over.  next comes the busiest year...you *think* you had a lot to do this year; you're mistaken.

the whole "scare you to death," "work you to death," "bore you to death" saying is spot-on. :)

but congrats on getting through!

980eQ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 10:53:48 PM »
YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAA

Tuesday, Baby!!!

GOD LET ME f-in PASS!!!!!

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 11:39:44 PM »
congratulations...the hardest year is over.  next comes the busiest year...you *think* you had a lot to do this year; you're mistaken.

the whole "scare you to death," "work you to death," "bore you to death" saying is spot-on. :)

but congrats on getting through!

wrong. 2L's a joke. at least my schedule (for next semester) is.

dmitrik4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 09:24:21 AM »
not for me, or anyone i knew.

but i suppose your mileage may vary.

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 01:59:07 AM »
Since nothing is materially that hard at all, I'm not sure I understand the difference between "hard" and "busy".  I thought the only thing hard about the first year was that we were so busy we didn't have time to slow down and absorb the material that in itself was not that hard.  Can anyone explain?

Basically, I can't imagine the second year really being much easier or much busier.  For example, Civ Pro...  Hard stuff?  Heck no.  Lots of stuff?  Jesus Christ.
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 07:32:33 AM »
I agree with the hard/busy distinction.  None of this is rocket science.  There are a couple "tricky" concepts in each subject that might take a little work to master, but anyone can do it.  It's simply the volume of material, and the lack of time to study/master it.

dmitrik4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 11:53:33 AM »
you're right...the material itself is not more difficult; there's just a lot more to do.

-the classes move a LOT faster
-you're busy most of the fall with interviewing
-if you're on law journal/review, that's like having another class
-same for a moot court competition if you do that (which you should)
-plus, any extracurricular stuff you might do

and nothing's scheduled for you like it is 1L year...you do it all.  finals on consecutive days?  sorry.  a morning final and a night final on the same day?  no one cares.  try to avoid those, by the way.

it's not unbearable, but it makes 1L year seem relatively slow.  all i'm saying is, congrats on getting through first year, but don't lounge back too much.  2L is about a whole different skill set.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 12:21:59 PM »
I thought 2L is easier in the sense grades are much less important, because you have OCI early in the fall semester (which I hear sucks) and then you have a job & can relax a little.  I still want do get good grades, but I dont think it will have the same urgency. 

Oh and at my school if you have 2 finals w/in a certain time period- I think 36 hours- you can have it easily changed.

And your no longer bullied by 2Ls.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 12:26:51 PM »
Thanks, dmitrik.  Will you be writing a book soon?  I mean all of that stuff out there scaring future 1L's about law school and there's nothing to scare the rising 2L's. I think you should get started on it.