Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring, NYC law school to BC or BU  (Read 1415 times)

NP2NDlaw

• View Profile
Transferring, NYC law school to BC or BU
« on: April 26, 2006, 09:14:03 PM »
Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone out there has any advice for a 1L contemplating a transfer from a well regarded NYC law school (i.e. Fordham, wink) to either BU or BC.  I guess the reason I ask is that most people tend to try and transfer "up," whereas as far as I'm concerned my school, BU, and BC are more or less the same.  My primary reason for transferring is that I'd prefer to practice in the Boston/Boston area, and that I just have not adjusted well to NYC.  As of now I assume that I'm somehwere in the top 30-40% range for my class as our curve is a 3.0, and my gpa is a bit higher than that.  If anyone has any idea how schools view lateral transfers, whether they are more lenient with lower gpas coming from well regarded schools, or anything else I'd appreciate it.  Sorry for the long post, good luck to everyone taking finals.  Peace 

yale05

• View Profile
Re: Transferring, NYC law school to BC or BU
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 11:05:38 AM »
At BC there are a few transfers who did exactly what you are thinking. We actually had two trnasfer students from GULC last year who transfered because they wanted to work in Boston. If you hate NY, FOrdham is definitly not where you should be studying. If you want Boston, I would go for BC or Harvard. But keep in mind some other schools out there that could be national and give you opportunities if all you want is a school that places well outside NYC. Also, I wouldnt go for BU, as they seem to do best in the city that you dont want to work in.

MITgrad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 06:48:51 PM »
I agree. I dont think you are goign to have a very good shot at BU/BC with your grades. I think your chances are better if you try and play up the connections to Boston. BC is actually the better school, but unfortunatetly I dont think they take many transfers. However, you might as well apply and see what happens.

Ronald Hyatt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hedgehog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 10:58:00 PM »
Yes, but BU is a craphole.
"Freedom of speech doesn't protect speech that you like, freedom of speech protects speech that you hate."
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000465/bio

MITgrad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 02:17:55 PM »
From all rankings I've ever seen, BU is the better school

This is where current law students post. Most current law students applied when BU was ranked in the 30 to 40 range. BU is not a good school. it merely cutt its class size in half to better compete with Harvard and Boston College which have dominated the boston legal market for the past two decades. EX = Ropes and Gray Boston, highest vault rating for a firm in Boston, hired practically all Harvard and BC alumni this summer and only around four BU grads.

hth.

yale05

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 02:55:02 PM »
And the debate continues. The lieter rankings are clearly nothing to be quoting considering BC wasn't included in a number of the evaluations. MIT Grad could quote Brody and Associates prestige rankings, the current selectivity of the two schools, the rest of the US News rankings other than the last two years from the begining of publication, as well as the current job placement in big law (see www.xoxohth.com auto admit studies and http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/)

I think they are both equally good schools and most people would agree that there is no real difference between the schools. BU and BC students should just get together and make one giant Massachusetts School of Law or something.