Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Who do you think should win the bachelor?

Jessica-the law sy=tudent
 0 (0%)
Trish- the female dog, honest and coming back
 2 (100%)
Marylou- or whatever her name is-the pageant queen
 0 (0%)
Tara - from Oklohoma
 0 (0%)
yourself
 0 (0%)
no-one Jesse is gay
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: A call for opinions regarding my potential attendance at Widener:  (Read 1315 times)

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: A call for opinions regarding my potential attendance at Widener:
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 04:39:42 PM »
I say go for it in that case. Besides, it wouldn't even be the full $80K of tuition if after the first year you discover that it's not for you. If I recall correctly, there are some BigLaw firms in Western PA. Also, if you don't mind relocating, a lot of those firms may also be hiring for their Philly and Wilmington offices.

Kazzzzzzzzaaam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 05:04:23 PM »
I say go for it in that case. Besides, it wouldn't even be the full $80K of tuition if after the first year you discover that it's not for you. If I recall correctly, there are some BigLaw firms in Western PA. Also, if you don't mind relocating, a lot of those firms may also be hiring for their Philly and Wilmington offices.

I nominate Giraffe the most gorgeous poster on LSD

HLS Fan

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 06:09:08 PM »
Maybe that's why her reputation is 11 (whereas mine is a measly -2).   :-\

But FYI Harrisburg is a whole lot closer to Philly and Wilmington than it is to Western PA.

proletariat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 06:46:05 PM »

How the hell can you tell from that diminutive picture? ??? :D

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 07:07:48 PM »
I would say that going to law school at Widener PA is a great idea with your background.  Being a civil engineer with a law degree makes you an ideal candidate to work for firms that deal with government building contracts and other areas that are within the realm of government (which is basically everything under the sun.).  From what I've heard, Widener has an awesome reputation within the capital complex and the law firms that surround it.  Also, you have access to both the Harrisburg AND Wilmington Career Services and on-campus interviews, which is one of the nice little perks of going to Widener, double the access.

I should note, however, that I am not an unbiased observer as I will be attending Widener (DE) in the fall.

Kazzzzzzzzaaam

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 09:25:40 AM »

How the hell can you tell from that diminutive picture? ??? :D

I have Casanova like skills  ;)

burger king university

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 11:39:02 AM »
I think you should attend law school.  Is Widener your only option? 

I work for a civil engineering company right now, and the CEO is an engineer who got a J.D. from Duqaine (sp) in Pittsburh, which is T4.  I think having a J.D. is very useful in the engineering business.  All the J.D's that I know in this business are making 120K and higher.   

proletariat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 09:20:09 PM »
I think you should attend law school.  Is Widener your only option? 

I work for a civil engineering company right now, and the CEO is an engineer who got a J.D. from Duqaine (sp) in Pittsburh, which is T4.  I think having a J.D. is very useful in the engineering business.  All the J.D's that I know in this business are making 120K and higher.   

How many JD/CEs do you know?  Are they engineer, lawyers, or managers of engineering companies?

burger king university

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 03:06:46 PM »
I know two JD/CE's.   One  is the CEO of a top 50 civil engineering firm and one is VP at a smaller environmental engineering firm.  There are a lot of J.D.'s who don't even have engineering backrounds in executive positions in engineering firms.  For example, the President of the engineering division of my company is a J.D. who was previously the commissioner of Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (not an engineer). The VP of our Philadelphia office is a J.D. and also has no engineering backround.  The commissioner of NJDOT is J.D. with no engineering background.   

bigfatbox

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 06:02:15 PM »
I wouldn't make any assumptions about how well you'll do in law school, especially while working full-time, on the basis of your LSAT score.

What is your LSAT score and LSAC gpa?

If your numbers are solid, you should be able to get into a better school. If I were you, I would stick with the engineering career and work on relocating your job to an area where you have more options for part-time law school. Then I would reapply and try to get a scholarship, maybe even retaking the LSAT if you think you can score higher the second time.

LSAT scores are officially valid for 5 years, but some schools will not accept scores older than 3 years. Even if you don't want to retake, you have some time to explore other options and reapply later.

Good luck.