Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "Getting to Maybe"  (Read 5938 times)

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: "Getting to Maybe"
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 02:32:34 PM »
Largely useless...not to mention boring and repetitive.

cerealkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 09:14:42 PM »
Maybe I'm a law geek or something, but I don't think the book is boring at all. Of course, I majored in philosophy so being able to detect what is or isn't boring may be a bit difficult for me, in light of past works I've read.

Regardless, thanks for all the feedback from everyone.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 07:19:04 AM »
I don't know that anyone should be "trying" to IRAC on a question.  If you've done enough practice questions walking in, IRAC should just happen with each issue you address.

Read whatever book(s)you want going in if it makes you happy.  The key, once you're in law school, is to do practice exam, after practice exam, after practice exam.  And don't just do them. Really work on them, take a question or two off your prof's old exams and go to office hours with it; ask for help.  Most profs will do this, and it makes a big difference.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 10:21:47 AM »
I don't know that anyone should be "trying" to IRAC on a question.  If you've done enough practice questions walking in, IRAC should just happen with each issue you address.

Read whatever book(s)you want going in if it makes you happy.  The key, once you're in law school, is to do practice exam, after practice exam, after practice exam.  And don't just do them. Really work on them, take a question or two off your prof's old exams and go to office hours with it; ask for help.  Most profs will do this, and it makes a big difference.

That's exactly what I thought about IRAC. I eventually realized that the key is to make the "R" and the "A" overlap by addressing specific facts. And yes, it should "just happen." It doesn't. You have to work at it, just like you said.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 11:46:27 AM »
I've suggested this elsewhere, but...

GTM is pretty much useless in terms of exam-writing technique. It may be somewhat useful in that it may give you some insight into law exams in general and what professors are looking for, but it probably is not worth reading unless you're interested in reading more on the subject. I got it for free and I was interested in hearing a different perspective on law exams, so I read it. I don't regret reading it.

Having read several exam-writing books, I can say with confidence that if you're looking for exam-writing technique, the best thing out there, hands down, is LEEWS. Even so, LEEWS itself is not going to guarantee you an "A." I have to echo what others have said here and say that the single most helpful thing you can do is PRACTICE EXAMS. Nothing can substitute for that; not LEEWS, GTM, or anything else really.

dmitrik4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 10:04:28 PM »
  (And some say they care but then don't give you any extra points for writing well.)  That's why, when preparing for exams, you should look at old exam questions used by your profs and (if they're available) old answers that got As.

winnAr.  besides studying the material, this is the single best preparation.  it always helps to know what your audience is looking for, whether it's a law professor or a firm partner.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 12:45:02 AM »
Maybe I'm a law geek or something

There's no maybe about it.
pudding is delightful

cerealkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 02:07:19 PM »
Brewha, you’re such a magnanimous human being. Can I be your friend?

modena99

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 07:15:34 PM »
The book is useless if you don't understand IRAC. GTB doesn't explain each letter of IRAC. Very few books do.

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 12:06:46 AM »
Brewha, you’re such a magnanimous human being. Can I be your friend?

Brewha is my idol...

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/students/index.php/topic,3993.0.html

This thread is priceless...