Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Building outlining tool for MS Word  (Read 627 times)

herewego

• View Profile
Building outlining tool for MS Word
« on: April 23, 2006, 06:59:50 PM »
Hi

I am starting law school this fall and am currently writing an outlining application (on top of what they have now) for MS Word.  I have tons of expereince in document management, VBA, etc.  So far, the application includes features that I believe will be useful - for example, I am writing some VBA code to make many of Word's annoying "features" less annoying (easy to use).  What types of features do people wish they had in MS Word or what do you all find annoying/hard to use, etc.

I may make it available as shareware if it is any good..
Thanks

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Building outlining tool for MS Word
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 08:37:50 PM »
Well, I don't know what VBA is, but the worst thing about Word is its ridiculous "auto-format" and "auto-correct" features.

Dear Microsoft,

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL I'M TRYING TO TYPE, SO STOP CORRECTING ME!

Sincerely,

Jumboshrimps

lolla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 08:50:27 PM »
@#!* Microsoft and the nerdy horse-faced Bill Gates!

mmhome

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 08:29:57 PM »
This is what makes me nuts...the "add to dictionary" feature.  We use a lot of words that word highlights as incorrect spellings.  (For the life of me, can't seem to think of one now!)  Anyway, if I add it to the dictionary, I would love that all forms of the word be added, like the plural form, etc. 

Also - when doing an outlining format...well that whole thing is just cumbersome and wish it could be a lot easier.  I made a basic document and just use that whenever I start a new outline....but it is still a pain.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 08:33:28 PM »
This is what makes me nuts...the "add to dictionary" feature.  We use a lot of words that word highlights as incorrect spellings.  (For the life of me, can't seem to think of one now!)  Anyway, if I add it to the dictionary, I would love that all forms of the word be added, like the plural form, etc. 

Also - when doing an outlining format...well that whole thing is just cumbersome and wish it could be a lot easier.  I made a basic document and just use that whenever I start a new outline....but it is still a pain.

Yeah... reasonableness, promissor, promisee, estoppel, Scalia... Word doesn't like any of em!

catamount6178

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 09:45:32 AM »
Back when I was an undergraduate studying animal learning, a graduate student told me that there were "dictionaries" that you could download and install for use with MS Word that would allow the program to have a greater vocabulary for specific fields. I'm pretty sure they have these for many science fields, and I imagine that they have one for law. I'll do a little Googling to see what I can find.

Yeah... reasonableness, promissor, promisee, estoppel, Scalia... Word doesn't like any of em!
Are your maladjusted, antisocial tendencies a product of your berserk pituitary gland?

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 10:05:09 AM »
Well, I don't know what VBA is, but the worst thing about Word is its ridiculous "auto-format" and "auto-correct" features.

Dear Microsoft,

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL I'M TRYING TO TYPE, SO STOP CORRECTING ME!

Sincerely,

Jumboshrimps

You can turn that off, or customize it so it only corrects what you want it to correct.