Law School Discussion

What can I do with a finance degree and JD?

lipper

• View Profile
Re: What can I do with a finance degree and JD?
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 03:29:03 PM »
you could also think about going the financial planner route (although, if u went to law school, i doubt this). doing wealth management, setting up trusts, etc. and if ur really ambitious, you could do the financial planner/CPA thing. Like becoming a CPA, becoming a financial planner also requires an exam, so if ur lazy, like me, you might want to forget about your undergrad, and just be a regular ol' lawyer.

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 12:20:58 AM »
Along these lines, the financial planner/JD approach is what I originally applied to law school to do...and I've seen people do it quite lucratively, even from no name law schools...

Having said that, the more I think about it, the more I see a definite split between the legal profession and the business world in that being an attorney requires 110%.... however, I think there are options to pursue non-strictly legal opportunities, once you are out from under the immense debt service that law school typically requires.

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 10:43:40 AM »
You could probably finance a rather healthy crack habit...

haha... jk

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 12:01:47 PM »
I did a year of law school, left and got my MBA in finance, and now I'm back in law school (as a part-timer this time).  But in the meantime, I was working at a hedge fund.  There is a great demand for lawyers that can understand the industry...I know that when I was leaving they were frantically searching for another lawyer to bring in because they were just doing that much business.  From what I've heard, the same need for qualified applicants goes for all of the bigger banks in NYC (ABN Amro to Citigroup).  I'm not sure what kind of law you want to practice...but I've found that my MBA has helped me open more doors now...then in the process of getting accepted to law school the first time. 

Hope that helps!