Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What can I do with a finance degree and JD?  (Read 1224 times)

rider06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What can I do with a finance degree and JD?
« on: April 23, 2006, 12:43:38 PM »
I have a bachelors in finance and after law school I will have a slightly rarer combination of educations (rather than the old poli-sci/JD).  I was wondering what advantages this offers and what types of jobs look for such people

thanks

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
Re: What can I do with a finance degree and JD?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 01:25:45 PM »
I don't really think your undergraduate degree is of much significance unless it's something really unique, or it taught you to speak fluent German or something like that.  Not to say that you might not find it useful, but I don't think employers are looking for a particular JD/UG combo. It will only be useful if you decide to apply it somehow yourself. 

But I don't doubt that what you learned with the finance degree will be helpful at times.
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

reverendlex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 02:16:58 PM »
If you have an interest in business law you might find it easier to do a JD/MBA program, since you already have some of the prerequisites taken care of.

You might also look into the additional classes to get a CPA and specialize in tax law. However just having an UG in a non-science field really doesn't make you stand out.

rider06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 05:00:23 PM »
If you have an interest in business law you might find it easier to do a JD/MBA program, since you already have some of the prerequisites taken care of.

You might also look into the additional classes to get a CPA and specialize in tax law. However just having an UG in a non-science field really doesn't make you stand out.

damn

i should have majored in dance or something

Italian2L

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 05:25:39 PM »

From http://barelylegalblog.blogspot.com

JD/MBA

Some things just seem to go together: chocolate and peanut butter, peanut butter and jelly, or pretty much anything and peanut butter. Some things, however, are foisted together for no apparent reason, like the JD/MBA. Or as I like to call it: Dumb and Dumber.

An MBA is basically a brief crash course in Business Administration. Some of you will remember Business Administration as the third most popular major offered on DeVryís late night TV commercials, after Air Conditioning Repair and Massage Therapy.

When an attorney needs information about a subject matter, letís say business administration, they donít go out and get a degree in it. The attorney hires an expert. The attorney then interviews the expert and if they need to communicate that expertís opinions they use them as an expert witness. You may have seen it done on TV about a million times.

I imagine most JD/MBA interviews go like this:

JD/MBA: Not only can I practice law for your company but I also can balance books, project your finances and manage your people.

Employer: Actually, youíll be busy with legal work for 70 hours a week like all other JDs, so you wouldnít have time to do any of that other stuff even if I wanted you to.

JD/MBA: So, I just wasted another year of my life and $50,000 for nothing?

Employer: Yes. It would seem those financial projection skills you learned leave a lot to be desired.

The thing I dislike most about JD/MBA programs is that the pairing really points out how a JD is not a real doctorate program. Even though evidence teaches us otherwise, guilt by association is real and we will all be victims of it.

Letís face it, JD/MBA programs are just a scam to squeeze more money out of students. I wonít be surprised if they start offering JD/MBA/Magic-Bean-Purchasing-Agent degrees.

HLS Fan

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 08:30:22 PM »
Ditto.  Your major will help you, but it won't make much of a diff to legal employers.  The only UG major that an employer might really care about is one of the hard sciences, if the employer is looking for intellectual-property lawyers.

lolla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 08:55:20 PM »
Start your own company setting up offshore business corporations that provide tax shelters to crooks all around our great @ # ! * i n g country!

cerealkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 09:02:24 PM »
You'll be able to calculate exactly how much three years of law school is going to cost you. ;D

hotbutterd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 12:13:51 AM »
Start your own company setting up offshore business corporations that provide tax shelters to crooks all around our great @ # ! * i n g country!

You mean IBCs, lolla?!

nextel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 01:29:56 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but what is an IBC?