Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Trouble With Job Applicants  (Read 1103 times)

hiringtime

• View Profile
    • Email
Trouble With Job Applicants
« on: April 20, 2006, 01:23:53 PM »
I am the hiring director for an international legal research firm.  Recently we were in the market to hire several students to assist with legal research.  The job title was Researcher.  Many students took themselves out of the running before we even looked at the resume.  That was before we looked at the school, class rank, law review, or law school activities.  Why?

1. Our advertisement clearly stated we were a research firm, looking to hire students to work as researchers.  As a writing sample, a number of students sent the appellate brief they wrote for a required brief writing class.  If it is a research institute and you will be working as a researcher, send a research writing sample.  You do not need to be on law review to have a researched paper as a writing sample.

2.  Several students wanted to know if they would have to do more then cite check.  Enough said.

3.  Informality.  An alarming number of applicants wrote letters of a tone they would write to their mother.  Most students were formal in their initial letter, but my response to their initial contact, in which I addressed them as Mr. or Ms., somehow signaled them that we were on a first name basis, with their referencing books, television shows, and movies.

4.  Referencing television shows.  A reference to Law & Order, CSI, or any number of other television shows makes me ask, where is your reality?

5.  Getting the facts wrong.  I responded to every initial inquiry, describing the work, which included a variety of projects.  Replies that did not read what I had written, the whole two paragraphs, were discarded.  This includes one person thinking it was one massive project and another wanting to know when she should buy her airplane ticket to move to New York for the summer.  We are not located in New York.  We simply advertised in a New York publication. 

6.  Again, not reading.  One student sent a letter stating that he was not comfortable disclosing personal information about himself, and therefore, was only going to provide a resume and writing sample.  The advertisement said, "send your resume, a writing sample, and describe your experience and interest in international business organizations. 

7.  Too much information.  One student wrote how he had spent 6 months bumming around California and another bumming around Utah, but now, like his eldest sister, he wanted to be just like his father and work as a lawyer.  hello????

For all the students posting here, remember to take all of the posting with the above in mind.

starter

• View Profile
Re: Trouble With Job Applicants
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 02:06:22 PM »
Please let me know if I can make a Paypal donation for your helpful advice.

We care about your unsolicited "advice" about as much as you care about points 4,5, and 7 on your list.

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 02:41:54 PM »
Hey, is the position still open?  Am I going to have to do anything other than cite check?  I saw on Law & Order that research projects were really fun.  Thanks Jimmy, let me know. 

-Spanky

hiringtime

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 04:17:12 PM »
You make my point.  Those seeking jobs think they are above those with the jobs, and, unfortunately, it usually is those from lower tier schools.  Top tier students realize the value of a paid research and writing position.  It's no wonder many firms will not recruit anywhere but top tier. 

hiringtime

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 04:20:27 PM »
Erapitt's response to my email box.  Again, making my point:

Sent to: hiringtime on: Today at 04:10:33 PM      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason you got horrible responses to your job advertisement is because only Third Tier Toilet law school graduates are interested in doing legal research for a fraction of what can be made at a big firm.

What happened really should not have been a shock?  Or were you expecting the editor for Harvard Law Review to be applying to your low prestige position?

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 04:20:56 PM »
This troll makes me laugh. :D :D
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 08:47:41 PM »
Here's a tip, hiringperson -
First year students have not done any writing assignments that require their own research.  So, if you need writing samples that are the product of a student's own research and initiative, ask only for upper level students. 

But if a student has already done work for a judge, professor, law firm, etc., why do you think they want the work for you?   What's an "international legal research firm"?   The best students aren't going to reply unless thejob pays decent money and they can put you on a resume.

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 09:43:35 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason you got horrible responses to your job advertisement is because only Third Tier Toilet law school graduates are interested in doing legal research for a fraction of what can be made at a big firm.

What happened really should not have been a shock?  Or were you expecting the editor for Harvard Law Review to be applying to your low prestige position?

Are you serious?  What a loser.  That guy is just pissed because he know he will have to compete with people who got lower LSAT scores than he did.  Apparently he did well on the LSAT and he thinks that accomplishment should be all the work he has to do for the rest of his life.

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 09:50:36 PM »

And he apparently doesn't even know the proper use of a question mark.

tenth8sphere

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 11:46:21 PM »
Erapitt has social problems.