Law School Discussion

Importance of Law Review

Importance of Law Review
« on: April 20, 2006, 12:17:37 AM »
I did not make it into law review or any other journals - will this be detrimental to my future job prospects? I'm in Tier 2 and my gpa is slightly below average.

HLS Fan

Re: Importance of Law Review
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 05:44:45 AM »
It will likely make it harder for you to get a firm job, if that's what you want.  Can you do moot court?  A lot of firms view moot court as a good "substitute" for law-review experience.  If moot court is out, try to find something else to do that you can put on your resume to show law-related experience and ability.  Intern for a judge or governmental agency, research for a prof, volunteer legal service, part-time work for a firm, something like along those lines.  You need to set yourself apart from all the other people in the middle of the class.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 08:25:08 AM »
The above poster is right. All I'd add is to take a few additional writing intensive classes (instead of exam classes) to sharpen your writing skills. Many firms may be using LR as an indicator that you have lots of experience in writing.

Don't give up hope. I didn't make LR and am slightly behind the curve at a tier 2 school. I have my dream job when I graduate. I volunteered for a public interest gig as a 2L and took interesting but low paying jobs that summer. Just work hard and find stuff to do that makes you stand out.

Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 10:29:20 PM »
A great advantage of working for a judge is that you could possibly build a relationship w/ a respected local atty who can later put in a good word for you.