Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Maybe not a tough choice, but still want some opinions  (Read 1047 times)

fiveten

• View Profile
    • Email
Maybe not a tough choice, but still want some opinions
« on: April 19, 2006, 08:20:53 PM »
The most likely scenario is that I want to end up at a large firm in Houston.  I have recently been accepted to WUSTL, and my application is still pending with G-Town (altough if i get into G-town i may want to stay in the DC area).  I am definetly going to apply to UT once I get my 2nd semester grades.  My question is should I consider still applying to Tulane and University of Houston.  Going to these schools will create more opportunities in Texas than WUSTL, right?  (even though WUSTL is ranked 19th compared to 70th (Houston) and 43rd (Tulane).  What about other Texas schools?  Let's hear some opinions.

By the way, I have lived in Houston for the previoius 11 years except for this past year.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe not a tough choice, but still want some opinions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 03:10:43 PM »
Go to WUSTL or Georgetown. Apply to UT. Don't apply to Houston, it is a school that is doing nothing but falling fast. Same with Tulane. Tulane will not even be Tier 1 by the end of next year because New Orleans will never be the same.

The most likely scenario is that I want to end up at a large firm in Houston.  I have recently been accepted to WUSTL, and my application is still pending with G-Town (altough if i get into G-town i may want to stay in the DC area).  I am definetly going to apply to UT once I get my 2nd semester grades.  My question is should I consider still applying to Tulane and University of Houston.  Going to these schools will create more opportunities in Texas than WUSTL, right?  (even though WUSTL is ranked 19th compared to 70th (Houston) and 43rd (Tulane).  What about other Texas schools?  Let's hear some opinions.

By the way, I have lived in Houston for the previoius 11 years except for this past year.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 09:58:34 PM »
I'd have to question the soundless of WUSTL.

While it is #19 right now, that is due to the huge jump this year. It hasn't consistently been a top-20 school. The rankings giveth and the rankings taketh away, just ask anyone at UNLV or Catholic. If WUSTL wasn't 19 right now, would you still want to go?
I'm from Chicago (the city, not the school) and I can speak to WUSTL's strength in the midwest. I'd be a bit suspect of their draw in the south, even if they are south of the Mason-Dixon.

If you truly want Houston, UH might not be a bad idea.
Consider someone that wanted to practice in Chicago. Would it be smarter to go to Loyola-Chicago (T2) or to Ohio State (kind of near by and much better ranked)? Despite T1, I bet OSU does not have the power in Chicago that T2 Loyola does.
The same may apply to UH v. WUSTL.

I agree 100% about  Tulane. It's a shame and all but I wouldn't hitch your star to anything in New Orleans.

Air Force JAG Corps

fushyuki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 11:13:22 AM »
I'd like to echo the previous poster. 

There's a reason they call them feeder schools.  The regional pull of UH will trump anything you can get from Wash U, and even Georgetown.  I'm at a comparable school to Wash U, and find that even though we're the top program in our region, the other local schools place almost as well at the area firms.  UH will be competitive with UT-Austin because most firms are looking for diversity in educational experiences.

Also, Wash U will likely drop in peer rankings (one component of USNWR rankings) because of the loss of Lee Epstein to Northwestern.  She was a huge star for them, and considered by many as the top empirical law professor out there.  WUSTL also seems to be hurting for high-range LSAT candidates this year (a friend of mine with a high 160 got in off the waitlist AND was offered a scholarship), which might also impact next year's USNWR Rankings depending on how similar schools do in recruting candidates. 

It is debatable as to whether these factors will affect their overall ranking (because that also depends on what BU, GW, and UMN do).  It's a great school, but if you're eyeing it because ranking is important, I think your money is better spent elsewhere.