Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Crazy, crazy students  (Read 1403 times)

icf

• View Profile
Crazy, crazy students
« on: April 19, 2006, 11:36:37 AM »
Not sure if this has been discussed in other threads (I did a search for "competitive students" and didn't see much) but I was wondering what people's experiences are in terms of hyper-competitive students stealing bookbags/notes, tearing out pages of library books, etc., with the intention of sabotaging other student's grades.  I've definitely heard some horror stories but wasn't sure how true they were.

Have you guys had any experiences with that kind of stuff?  And what school do you go to or what schools are definitely known to have that kind of atmosphere?

HLS Fan

Re: Crazy, crazy students
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 11:56:56 AM »
FWIW, I went to HLS and never experienced anything like this.  Most students went out of their way to help each other (sharing outlines, study tips, etc.).

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 12:24:03 PM »
Those stories, in my opinion, are overblown products of a law school culture that feeds off of unfounded fear.  They are in the same line as the "how to do law school" books and preview courses offered by Princeton Review, etc. 

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 05:19:43 PM »
I'm at a T4 and I've never seen this.  One would think, that if it exists at all, it would be at a T4 b/c grades become so much more important.

DutchessA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 05:54:30 PM »
We had books mysteriously disappear in the library...and some serious mind gaming.

bold and beautiful

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »
Not sure if this has been discussed in other threads (I did a search for "competitive students" and didn't see much) but I was wondering what people's experiences are in terms of hyper-competitive students stealing bookbags/notes, tearing out pages of library books, etc., with the intention of sabotaging other student's grades.  I've definitely heard some horror stories but wasn't sure how true they were.

Have you guys had any experiences with that kind of stuff?  And what school do you go to or what schools are definitely known to have that kind of atmosphere?

It's mostly done not in a direct way ... sometimes it is very subtle ... students usually try to psych out each-other, especially around the finals

BigDaddy

• 3.2 160 McGeorge School of Law, 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 11:58:41 PM »
Nothing, at McGeorge at least. EVERYONE here has been very helpful....

You miss a class, 3 people offer notes. You miss a week? 5 people offer to help with an outline...

Now if only the CDO was worth a damn >:(

pappy13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 01:25:28 AM »
People are helpful, but the occasional psych-out is readily apparent... pretty solid combo with exam time paranoia.

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 12:59:41 AM »
What is your exam time game face?

1. Get people talking about what and how they are studying, both to guage the competition and see if you can pick up any tips.

2. Act cool, calm and slightly bored as if everything is perfectly under control and you're just looking forward to the summer, in an attempt to make your classmates nervous.

3. Tell everyone you're definitely going down in flames, thus fishing for ego-boosting sympathy and setting the bar low so you can be pleasantly surprised.

4. Become invisible, open your mouth only to breathe, and slip in and out of the shadows unnoticed.

5. Generously offer to help others and share whatever study aides you found helpful.

6. Act cheerfully optimistic and reassuring, telling each classmate to stop worrying because you know what a sharp law student they are and that they're going to do great.

7. Beg for help

8. Repeatedly exclaim "I don't see what the big deal is, I just don't think that class is so hard!"

8. Tell everyone you're going to fail out of school when you know you really do have the thing in the bag.

9. Tell everyone you've got it in the bag when you know you're really going to fail out of law school.

10. CHEAT!

I know there are some hustlers out there because I have seen my fair share of people literally crying during exams who finished at the top of the class!
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 01:03:41 AM »
Oh, and I can't believe I forgot one of the most common exam time psych-outs of all:

11. Tell everyone you're so drained from studying 12 hours non-stop every day since last month (bull of course)

or maybe one of the two alcohol-related variations:

12. Keep telling people you're probably going to hit the bars tonight.

13. Keep attempting to lure groups of people to grab some beers after class.
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G