Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which Audio CD's - Gilbert's, Sum & Substance, or PMBR?  (Read 1171 times)

sharmaine73

• View Profile
Which Audio CD's - Gilbert's, Sum & Substance, or PMBR?
« on: April 18, 2006, 05:33:59 PM »
I'm torn. The bookstore only has Gilbert's left, they sold out of Sum & Subtance (seems to be the most pupular), but I've heard really good things about PMBR.  This is going to be for Civil Procedure. Any I haven't heard of that are worth looking into would be appreciated as well.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Which Audio CD's - Gilbert's, Sum & Substance, or PMBR?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 11:18:09 PM »
dont go by brand - go by subject. Sum and Substance was great for Criminal, although I also bought it for Tax, as well as Profesonal Responsibility, and both of those sucked.

You wanna be asking which CD series is best for Civ Pro.

and to answer that question, I have no idea.
check the footnotes ya'll

sharmaine73

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 01:04:59 AM »
Good advice.  Actually, I borrowed the Gilbert's tapes on Civ. Pro. and frankly I think it wasn't that great.  Maybe it's just me.  So what is the best audio for civ. pro.?  Anybody?

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 10:50:08 AM »
Sum & Substance by Miller (a HLS prof) is terrific.

I've bought a number of the S&S and have been pretty happy with them.
Crim law and crim pro by Dressler have been a huge help (my profs loved Dressler so it helped having it straight from the horse's mouth.)
Torts with Franz/Frinz (sp?) great as well and pretty funny overall.

The only one I disliked with Contracts (forget the profs name). Maybe it was just how my class was taught but it was not very helpful and his presentation sucked.
Air Force JAG Corps

njgal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 06:14:13 PM »
i really like the sum & substance series in general. but i took civ pro before i discovered that series, so i'm not sure how that specific set is. i really liked them for classes that are heavily rules-based (evidence, tax, property, etc.)

for civ pro, i used the tapes by glannon (i think they're called "examples & explanation" -- they're associated with the book). they were great. they helped me to end up with the highest grade in the class. (but if you use them, i have to warn you: glannon has a very soothing voice -- it might not be a good idea to drive while listening to them because you might fall asleep at the wheel. seriously.)

i bet the PMBR tapes would be good, too -- i've just started listening to their bar prep series and they seem pretty well done and easy to follow.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 02:10:23 PM »
Would the bar prep series be useful for 1L's who are studying for exams?
Georgetown