Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: lawyers and white shirts  (Read 7623 times)

dtheaisle

• View Profile
Re: lawyers and white shirts
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 08:17:44 AM »
When Tom was a fourteen year old he seriously considered becoming a priest. In later years it became clear that he desperately needed a church to attach himself to as a kind of security blanket after all the lonely years of his childhood. That seems to be how he became involved in the highly controversial Church of Scientology.

Tom--along with a handful of other Hollywood stars -- has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on training courses inside the church, invented by an eccentric one-time sexual swinger. He often spends days at the church's basecamp in the middle of the Californian desert.

For years, Tom would not admit he was a Scientologist . . . Some Hollywood observers believe that Tom's association with the Scientologists has helped him maintain his highly focused work ethics and greatly assisted him in dealing with stardom. Others find it more difficult to accept. The fact the members of the church apparently believe in inter-galactic travel, reincarnation and the possibility of a more fulfilled existence through mind control probably isn't a big deal. Who in California doesn't? Yet some reports have suggested that members of the church can end up deprived of their free will.

The Church of Scientology is a rich and vengeful religious cult, or as one critic puts it, "a cross between the Moonies and the Mafia." But it would be a mistake to dismiss its underlying technology as harmless or ineffective. Scientologists know a great deal about thought control, social control, rhetorical judo (defeat by misdirection, deft use of logical fallacies) and high pressure sales, though as victims of their own technology, they wouldn't characterize it that way.

Despite its extensive advertising campaign, including half-hour TV infomercials for Dianetics, the Church has been careful to maintain a veil of mystery about its teachings, in part by outlawing any meaningful discussion or analysis of them. To learn the inner secrets of the cult requires years of strict obedience and large monetary donations. In return, Scientology promises its adherents "total freedom". The Internet is going to make good on that promise.

yl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 10:07:09 PM »

He often spends days at the church's basecamp in the middle of the Californian desert.

Not that difficult to figure out why ..

insignia

• View Profile
    • Email

quidpro

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 08:24:37 PM »

This isn't the first time Cruise has sued over his manhood. Years ago he sued a paper for suggesting he was sterile, and yet another one for suggesting he and Nicole needed a sex coach for their "steamy" scenes in "Eyes Wide Shut" that had all the chemistry of toothpaste and orange juice. What's next? At this rate he's about ready to sue Richard Simmons for having an erotic dream about him. After that, he's gonna go after "The Flintstones" because he's just certain that, "We'll have a gay old time" lyric is a dig at him. And let's not get into those not so nice persons that make Ben-Gay that are trying to smear him.

Shakespeare may have said it best, "Methinks thou doth protest too much."

Is it Cruise's right to sue? Certainly. But is it really about preventing people from spreading lies? Just imagine if a woman claimed to have a sex video featuring her and Cruise, or if some hot chick told a magazine that Nicole walked in on her and Tom gettin' busy. Think he'd sue then? When Ricky Martin is confronted with gay rumors, he merely laughs it off. Why can't Cruise just do the same? My theory is that The Church of Scientology, frustrated with the lackluster box office performance of Battlefield Earth, needs the cash. In fact, the bylaws of their church require members to surrender a huge portion of their cash, so they stand a lot to gain.   

Hey, Xenu's gotta eat, too.

"Top Gun" is a movie ostensibly about fighter pilots, but in reality a long, drawn out metaphor for male homosexual congress. "He's behind you, Iceman!" huh-huh-huh ....

sp

• View Profile
South Park Video
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 04:53:51 AM »

everytwoweeks

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 05:03:26 PM »
funny so funny

99loanstudentloaninfo.inf

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 03:23:19 AM »
Tom started wearing braces in 2002. He removes them during filming.

When he was 7, he was diagnosed as dyslexic. He claims Scientology helped him overcome it.

Tom's real name: Thomas Mapother.

According to RadarMagazine.com, before Cruise started dating Katie Holmes, he invited actress Scarlett Johansson to a Scientology center where he showed her literature about the church. "After two hours of proselytizing," according to the website, "Cruise opened a door to reveal a second room full of upper-level Scientologists who had been waiting to dine with the pair, at which point the cool-headed ingénue politely excused herself."

In 1997, Cruise and other big time Hollywood entertainers took out an international newspaper ad denouncing Germany for resorting to the same totalitarian tactics against Scientologists that the country used against the Jews under Hitler during the 1930s.

Cruise and Katie Holmes -- each of his wives is 11 years younger than the last. Mimi Rogers, 1956; Nicole Kidman, 1967; Katie Holmes, 1978

Eventually, Katie Holmes will type "what is Scientology" or "xenu" into Google and find out what a freak Tom Cruise really is.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 09:24:50 AM »
White is most traditional/ safe.  I have always heard women should only wear a black suit w/ white or beige shirt to an interview.  I am too pale for white, so I always wear a beige shirt. 

CAN'T YOU READ!!???  THIS THREAD HAS BEEN HIJACKED!  DIDN'T YOU NOTICE YOU WERE THE ONLY "WHITE SHIRT" POST IN THE MIDDLE OF 15 THE AMBIGUOUSLY GAY TOM CRUISE POSTS?
pudding is delightful

DCrell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 01:00:43 AM »
I wear blue shirts all the time. I've even worn a lavender with a gray suit before. looked awesome. In my opinion, if you know how to do colors well, then do it. You will stand out a bit and look more confident than the standard white shirt and red tie crowd. I have gotten SEVERAL compliments about my dress and comments such as the one I just said. My fav. interview suit is a dark charcoal gray with thin alternating pinstripes of cream and a burnt orange/copper color. I wear it with a medium blue shirt and a tie that has some a little bit of blue, little bit of cream, and that same burnt orange/copper color.

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 11:17:05 AM »
I wear blue shirts all the time. I've even worn a lavender with a gray suit before. looked awesome. In my opinion, if you know how to do colors well, then do it. You will stand out a bit and look more confident than the standard white shirt and red tie crowd. I have gotten SEVERAL compliments about my dress and comments such as the one I just said. My fav. interview suit is a dark charcoal gray with thin alternating pinstripes of cream and a burnt orange/copper color. I wear it with a medium blue shirt and a tie that has some a little bit of blue, little bit of cream, and that same burnt orange/copper color.

White is most traditional/ safe.  I have always heard women should only wear a black suit w/ white or beige shirt to an interview.  I am too pale for white, so I always wear a beige shirt. 

CAN'T YOU READ!!???  THIS THREAD HAS BEEN HIJACKED!  DIDN'T YOU NOTICE YOU WERE THE ONLY "WHITE SHIRT" POST IN THE MIDDLE OF 15 THE AMBIGUOUSLY GAY TOM CRUISE POSTS?
pudding is delightful