Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: lawyers and white shirts  (Read 7912 times)

romeoville

• View Profile
Re: lawyers and white shirts
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2007, 09:01:14 PM »

IT'S A GIRL!

Suri tagged along, ostensibly because, away from the watchful eye of TomKat, she could be prone to DNA tests and other evil tools of science.

The older Cruise kids (the ones that call Nicole Kidman mom, when she makes her annual phone call) weren't invited. As a matter of fact, Kidman and Cruise's kids are so embarrassed by their famous parents they won't let them pick them up from school.

Nicole says Isabella, 12, and 9-year-old Conor, who the actress adopted during the couple's marriage, says the children find it hard to deal with their famous connections. They even tried to change their last name, and they say, 'Don't come to our school. Whatever you do, don't come." ;)

Tom, 42, says his children make him feel old because he hasn't got to grips with modern technology. (LOL ;) He said at the time: "Whenever we arrive somewhere, the kids have already found out all about it on the internet.

I tell them, "Kids, I remember a time when there wasn't the internet and no cell phones either.' and they just look at me, as if to say, 'Oh my God, that's unbelievable!'"

btramsey

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2007, 01:05:52 AM »
romeoville, you're so funny!

l a w s c h o o l d i s c

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2009, 11:58:48 AM »

[...]

Quentin Tarantino had a great bit part in the film "Sleep With Me" when he makes the following rant about "Top Gun" at a party:

Sid: You want subversion on a massive level. You know what one of the greatest @ # ! * i n g scripts ever written in the history of Hollywood is? Top Gun.
Duane: Oh, come on.
Sid: Top Gun is @ # ! * i n g great. What is Top Gun? You think it's a story about a bunch of fighter pilots.
Duane: It's about a bunch of guys waving their dicks around.
Sid: It is a story about a man's struggle with his own homosexuality. It is! That is what Top Gun is about, man. You've got Maverick, all right? He's on the edge, man. He's right on the fu c k i n g line, all right? And you've got Iceman, and all his crew. They're gay, they represent the gay man, all right? And they're saying, go, go the gay way, go the gay way. He could go both ways.
Duane: What about Kelly McGillis?
Sid: Kelly McGillis, she's heterosexuality. She's saying: no, no, no, no, no, no, go the normal way, play by the rules, go the normal way. They're saying no, go the gay way, be the gay way, go for the gay way, all right? That is what's going on throughout that whole movie ... He goes to her house, all right? It looks like they're going to have sex, you know, they're just kind of sitting back, he's takin' a shower and everything. They don't have sex. He gets on the motorcycle, drives away. She's like, "What the @ # ! *, what the @ # ! * is going on here?" Next scene, next scene you see her, she's in the elevator, she is dressed like a guy. She's got the cap on, she's got the aviator glasses, she's wearing the same jacket that the Iceman wears. She is, okay, this is how I gotta get this guy, this guy's going towards the gay way, I gotta bring him back, I gotta bring him back from the gay way, so I'll do that through subterfuge, I'm gonna dress like a man. All right? That is how she approaches it. Okay, now let me just ask you -- I'm gonna digress for two seconds here. I met this girl Amy here, she's like floating around here and everything. Now, she just got divorced, right? All right, but the REAL ending of the movie is when they fight the MIGs at the end, all right? Because he has passed over into the gay way. They are this gay fighting @ # ! * i n g force, all right? And they're beating the Russians, the gays are beating the Russians. And it's over, and they @ # ! * i n g land, and Iceman's been trying to get Maverick the entire time, and finally, he's got him, all right? And what is the last @ # ! * i n g line that they have together? They're all hugging and kissing and happy with each other, and Ice comes up to Maverick, and he says, "Man, you can ride my tail, anytime!" And what does Maverick say? "You can ride mine!" Swordfight! Swordfight! @ # ! * i n' A, man!"

[...]

Gimme a break! FYI, there are rumors Tarantino is gay, given also the fact that he has never married and has no children. Apart from this, it appears there are some curious facts about him - he worked in a video rental store prior to becoming a filmmaker, paid close attention to the types of films people liked to rent, and has cited that experience as inspiration for his directorial career. Tarantino has been romantically linked with numerous entertainers, including actress Mira Sorvino, directors Allison Anders and Sofia Coppola, actresses Julie Dreyfus and Shar Jackson and comedians Kathy Griffin and Margaret Cho. There have also been rumors about his relationship with Uma Thurman, whom he has referred to as his "muse." However, Tarantino has gone on record as saying that their relationship is strictly platonic.

In a Playboy interview, he talked of smoking cannabis and using ecstasy while filming "Kill Bill." He was thanked in the liner notes of Nirvana's final studio album "In Utero" although the spelling of his name is incorrect. Tarantino returned the favor by thanking Nirvana on the "Pulp Fiction" soundtrack, along with the message "RIP Kurt." It is known that Cobain and his wife Courtney Love turned down an offer to act in Pulp Fiction as Lance & Jody.

A high school dropout and video freak, Quentin Tarantino took Hollywood by storm in 1992 with the cult hit "Reservoir Dogs." His combination of clever dialogue and brutal violence hit a new peak in 1994 with "Pulp Fiction," which won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay and revived the career of John Travolta. Tarantino also began to dabble in acting, appearing with Antonio Banderas in "Desperado" (1995) and with George Clooney in "From Dusk Til Dawn" (1996). In 1997 he had a solid, if not spectacular hit with Jackie Brown, starring Pam Frier. An overnight success by Hollywood standards, Tarantino is considered a genius by some and a snotty imitator by others, adding to his mystique as a moviemaker. In 2003 he announced that his film, "Kill Bill" (starring Uma Thurman and Lucy Liu) released in 2 parts. Now, Google "Quentin Tarantino" and "plagiarism" and see what well-known Asian films come up. He has a lot of enemies in Los Angeles.

Sh.Gemal

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 06:30:09 AM »
Well, Tom Cruise may be gay, and he may want to remain in the closet no matter what, but why is it so troubling to you?! Does not everyone have the right to choose whether to come out or not?! Why would everybody want him to be "out"?! Don't you understand that he won't be able to get as many and as good contracts in case he reveals he's gay (assuming he is)?! Yeah, let's "out" all the closet cases. That's a great way to bring all faggots together to live in harmony. Destroy lives, hurt people, divide, divide, divide. Why is a closet case a detriment to the "out" gays?! Who is a closeted gay hurting, except himself and maybe his family? Isn't he the one who has to deal with it? Is it not up to HIM to decide how to live his own life?

Shut the @ # ! *, up! Remaining in the closet has devastating effects for homosexuals and the society. For rich people in positions of power outing is mandatory.

What?! Are you suggesting that we should out Oprah too?!

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 01:57:34 PM »
actually, oprah and tom cruse same person.

b e k a

• View Profile
Re: "Foot-in-the-Door"
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 05:20:51 PM »

Will you walk, the CD Theory is all too complex to fully explain it here - I'd focus instead on the practical applications of the Dissonance Theory. That's because one of the reasons it has inspired much research is its ability to explain phenomena not readily explainable by common sense. For instance, dissonance theory has been used as a way to understand events that totally confound our imagination - like the enormous power certain cult leaders like Jim Jones, David Koresh, and Marshall Herff Applewhite have had over the hearts and minds of their followers.

Take for instance Jim Jones. It goes without saying that the massacre at Jonestown was tragic in the extreme. It is beyond comprehension that a single person could make hundreds of people kill themselves and their own children.

"Jim" Jones was the founder and leader of the "Peoples Temple," best known for the Nov 18, 1978 mass suicide of 909 Temple members in Jonestown, Guyana, along with the killings of 5 other people at a nearby airstrip. Over 200 children were murdered at Jonestown, almost all of whom were forcefully made to ingest cyanide by the elite Temple members. Jones was born in Indiana and started the Temple in that state in the 1950s. Jones and the Temple later moved to California, and both gained notoriety with the move of the Temple's headquarters to San Francisco in the mid-1970s. The incident in Guyana ranks among the largest mass suicides in history, and was the single greatest loss of American civilian life in a non-natural disaster until the events of Sep 11, 2001.

Now you may have heard about the all-too-familiar technique of the foot-in-the-door. Escalation is perpetuating. Once a small commitment is made, it sets the stage for ever-increasing commitments. The behavior needs to be justified, so attitudes are changed; this change in attitudes influences future decisions and behavior. Suppose you would like to enlist someone's aid in a massive undertaking, but you know the job you have in mind for the person is so difficult, and will require so much time and effort, that the person will surely decline. What do you do? You may get the person involved in much smaller aspects of the job, ones so easy that s/he wouldn't dream of turning down. Such serves to commit the individual to the "cause." Once people are thus committed, the likelihood of their complying with the larger request increases.

Jim Jones extracted great trust from his followers one step at a time. There was a chain of ever-increasing commitments on the part of his followers. Once a small commitment is made, the stage is set for ever-increasing commitments. It's easy to understand how a charismatic leader like Jones might extract money from his church's members. Once they have committed themselves to donating a small amount in response to his message of peace and universal brotherhood, he's able to request and receive a great deal more. Next, he induces people to sell their homes and turn over the money to the church. Soon, at his request, several of his followers pull up stakes, leaving their families and friends, to start life anew in the strange and difficult environment of Guyana. There, not only do they work hard (thus increasing their commitment), but they also are cut off from potential dissenting opinion, inasmuch as they are surrounded by true believers.

Jones takes sexual liberties with several married women among his followers, who acquiesce, but reluctantly; Jones claims to be the father of their children. He had sexual relations with his men followers as well, and made them believe they were all homosexuals, while he was the only heterosexual. Finally, as a prelude to the climactic event, Jones induces his followers to perform a series of mock ritual suicides as a test of their loyalty and obedience. Thus, in a step-by-step fashion, the commitment to Jones increases. Each step in itself is not a huge, ludicrous leap from the one preceding it.

linoleum - this guy must have really been something - I mean, looks like he's using a "method" where every prior little committment made on the part of his followers, also serves as an actual "buffer" to any subsequent and still-persisting resistance to the irrational actions he eventually orders his followers to do.