Law School Discussion

Don't call me stupid but...

chrisfield

• Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
Don't call me stupid but...
« on: April 18, 2006, 07:39:33 AM »
Do District Judges have clerks?

If yes, would this be a prestigious job for a 1L to have?

Or would it be more prestigious to work for a DA in a town of 55,000?

Thanks.

Re: Don't call me stupid but...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 07:46:46 AM »
You mean clerks like summer externs?  Yes, they do.  It would be a very good job for a 1L and probably more prestigious than the DA job.  Don't choose your job based solely on the prestige, though.

chrisfield

• Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 07:48:21 AM »
You mean clerks like summer externs?  Yes, they do.  It would be a very good job for a 1L and probably more prestigious than the DA job.  Don't choose your job based solely on the prestige, though.

I won't, I was just curious.  I have a quasi family friend that is a district judge in my hometown.  How many district judges are there?

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 08:26:26 AM »
I won't, I was just curious.  I have a quasi family friend that is a district judge in my hometown.  How many district judges are there?

All total in the country?  I have no idea, sorry... it's probably google-able though.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 06:24:37 AM »
I assume you're talking about FEDERAL district courts. "Clerks" who work over a summer during law school are usually called "interns" and sometimes "externs". A clerk is someone who has graduated and is working usually in 1 or 2 year terms with the judge, for pay.

Almost all district court judges have clerks and the positions are VERY prestigious - much more than working for the DA. And the work experience you'd receive is extremely valuable (which is why the law firms love former clerks). These clerkships are difficult to get - I go to Texas and I know people high up on the law review board who could not get offers. There are several hundred federal district court judges in the nation. You can also consider magistrate judges - a little less prestigious but easier to get clerkships for.