Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duquesne Class of 2009  (Read 7148 times)

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Duquesne Class of 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 01:01:24 AM »
NESL was definitely nice to me as well (they called me at least once a week just to see if I had any questions). I can understand holding onto Buffalo- it's a good school though I hear that schools outside T50 are fairly regional so you would be confined mostly to upstate NY if you went there. Looking at Duq, I definitely had to ask myself if I minded working in Pittsburgh and I didn't so I'm more than happy to go to school there. As for living arrangements, I'm still searching. I'm pretty much all over craigslist every day to see if there are any good deals in the area I want to live (Squirrel Hill, Shadyside). I'm curious as to where most Duq students live...I'd like to live close to other law students as it's easier to meet up for study groups/drinking. MmTino, where are you looking to live? Have any good prospects?

MmTino2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 01:08:38 PM »
Just so you know MmTino2 = Michael on the myspace page.  I don't know if I said that or not.

In regards to prospects I honestly have none.  Originally I just figured I'd live on campus my first year, but from what I understand I would be living with college students and or graduate students.  I dont really know if I want to be in a dorm with a college student because I know how much work I do now and I dont think its going to be enough.  A friend of mine also went to Duq as an undergrad and he told me to stay away from the campus housing.  He said being its a catholic school they are a little tough on living sitatuions and being off campus myself for the past 2 years I've grown to enjoy my freedom.  I think its pretty hard to try to find a place off campus if you don't know who you're living with.  I mean there are some places out there, Duq actually has a site for listed apartments and homes.  Most of them are for more than one person though.

The Link is: http://www.commuteraffairs.duq.edu/pdf/OffCampusList.pdf
Hope it helps if you don't already know about it.

My friend who went there undergrad recomended mount washington.  I dont really know much about the area, but I do plan to visit eventually.  I def want to live close to other law students too.  I mean after we all bust our asses jumping through whatever hoops they conjure up for us, having a couple drinks with those people will def be a good time.

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 04:15:34 PM »
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the link. Yea I would agree that living on campus is a big no no especially for law students. You'd have a lot more freedom if you lived off campus and you wouldn't be stuck paying for a meal plan and having to eat with undergrads in the dining halls. I didn't even know that being a catholic school they would have stricter rules and regulations :-\- as adults, that would've been really weird and inconvenient (i.e. no drinking). You're right that living off campus is harder when you don't know anyone- I just posted on the myspace site looking for some female roommates because I don't want to search for apts alone. You should probably do the same. Do you happen to have a link to the mount washington apts? I'd be interested in checking it out. The myspace group mentioned Washington Plaza which looks freakin' amazing but it may be a little pricey but still managable (since all utilites are paid). It's really close to school and has a lot of amenities/features. One guy said he's pretty set on living there and if others appear to be living there I may go that route as well. I just really want to live with other law students. Anyway, I posted a link there so I'll post a link here too of a list of apts in Pittsburgh:

http://www.forrent.com/browse/Pennsylvania/628/Pittsburgh/Pittsburgh/page1.html

MmTino2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 10:23:39 AM »
I was looking through that list of apartments that you posted and they really arent all that expensive.  If they include utilities a single bedroom apartment could actually be afordable.  It is definately something I'm going to look into now.  Not having to go nuts trying to find people to live with would def save me a huge headache.