Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duquesne Class of 2009  (Read 7002 times)

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Duquesne Class of 2009
« on: April 17, 2006, 04:05:15 PM »
Hey all,

So I just got my acceptance last Friday (definitely a Good Friday ) and I have already decided I will be attending come Fall. Just wanted to see if anyone is still waiting on Duquesne and if they hear good news from Duquesne will definitely be attending; or if anyone has already heard from Duquesne and they're >75% sure they will be attending. I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on the school/Pittsburgh and why they'll be attending. Also, has anyone heard anything about an Admitted Students Day? I've seen some schools with ASD's in late April so I figured it wasn't too late to have one. Does anyone have any potential housing options? I'm trying to get the best feedback as to the best place to live in Pittsburgh, preferably with other Duquesne students. So come in and drop a line!

P.S. I've posted this in the pre-law accepted and decided students board so post where you please! if i see one board get more replies than the other I'll change the subject name to the official board so we can all post in one spot.

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Duquesne Class of 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 12:05:50 AM »
Hey guys,

So I went ahead and created a Duq Myspace group so if you're headed to Duq this fall please join! This way we can have an official meet and greet with each other since, to my knowledge, we won't be having an actual admitted students day event. Later!
http://groups.myspace.com/duquesnelaw09

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 07:47:26 PM »
I'm sending in my transfer app for Duquesne soon...my girlfriend lives in pittsburgh and we've been doing long distance for 2 years, so hopefully things will work out. They didn't accept a single transfer student last year, but I'm not giving up hope.

MmTino2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 09:27:31 AM »
Hey, Im 90% sure I'm going to Duquesne in the fall.  Honestly I've only heard the best things about the city.  Everyone I talk to seems to really love it.  I haven't been there myself, but it seems like its a pretty nice place to live.  I know everyone loves the bar scene there, or at least the people I talk to all say its great.  I dont know how much of that we will have time to enjoy, but at least its there.  I dont have myspace, only facebook, but maybe I should attempt to set that up.  Some of the earlier posts really go into depth about the places to live.  The cost of places is really cheap to.  To be honest, the reason I'm going is because it was one of the two schools I got accepted to.  The other school in Boston I was just not really a fan of after reading some of the reviews by students, so this seemed the logical choice.

See you in the Fall hopefully,

Mike

corbabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 10:02:52 AM »
Well I have not been accepted to Duquesne yet, but it is my number one choice.  I am from Pittsburgh, and I can tell you there is alot to do in the city.  Duquesne has a great reputation and I am sure you will love it hear.  If you have any questions about the school or area just let me know, I would be glad to help ya out.  Well now I have to get back to hoping that I get in!!!!!!!!!  I applied back in november so I am really starting to get nervous.

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 03:09:09 PM »
Hey guys!

I didn't even realize people had been posting here so this is cool! I'm Linda from the myspace group (I have facebook too but I wasn't sure if there was an ability to make an inter-school group and I'm not too sure that everyone has facebook so I figured since everyone raves about myspace I'd make the group there). I'm 100% sure I'll be in Pittsburgh in the fall and I couldn't be happier.  :)

psuisback- definitely don't give up hope. i have always said that this process is so RANDOM that you never know what's gonna happen. I take it you are a student at psu? Is your gf being in pittsburgh your only reason for the transfer or are you not quite diggin' psu? good luck in getting in- hopefully your application will stand out from the previous batches!

Mmtino2- I see you've joined the myspace group and I've already said hey there  :). What's the 90% thing all about? Is there something still holding you back from being fully committed? Is the other school you got into the reason? Btw which school is it? (The only schools I can imagine getting flack on this board are NESL and Suffolk). I got into NESL but Duq was the obvious favorite. I'm happy about the COL in Pitt too. I'm used to paying around $600 plus utilities so I'm really happy I can live in Pitt for A LOT less. Though, I am looking into Squirrel hill/Shadyside and those parts seem to have the more pricier places. We'll see...

Corbabe- I've been watching both you and crossexam on lsn for a long time since you guys have been waiting FOREVER to hear back from Duq. Crossexam actually posted a thread in the law school applications forum (Is there any hope left) talking about his Duq wait. I'm sure it sucks to wait but I'm holding out hope for you guys- we figured the latest you should hear by is May 1st so hopefully this week or next will be your week to hear back! Honestly, if you applied back in november and still haven't heard, I would think it's an unwritten deferral which means they obviously saw something good in your file and want to let you in but they're just being number whores for the time being and are just letting people in with higher numbers at the moment. When all those high numbers folks actually withdraw and head to  UofPitt  ;), I'm sure they'll start letting the deferrals in. Thanks for offering up some tips about the area- I will definitely shoot some your way. Good luck!

wardwilliams

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 03:23:50 PM »
I am thinking about attending Duquesne if I get in.  They are taking forever.  They recieved my app. in very early November, my numbers are 3.57/154; whenever I ask about my status I get a generic answer like "we will decide on you sometime during the 'spring term'."  If accepted I will have to decide b/w Syracuse, Duquesne neither with $$, or Widener with $$.  Not really sure what to do--doubt I will go to Cuse b/c it is ridiculously expensive.  Duq. and Widener are comparable but I could commute from parents house to Widener.  Not too sure about job prospects for either of these school though

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 04:18:18 PM »
I am thinking about attending Duquesne if I get in.  They are taking forever.  They recieved my app. in very early November, my numbers are 3.57/154; whenever I ask about my status I get a generic answer like "we will decide on you sometime during the 'spring term'."  If accepted I will have to decide b/w Syracuse, Duquesne neither with $$, or Widener with $$.  Not really sure what to do--doubt I will go to Cuse b/c it is ridiculously expensive.  Duq. and Widener are comparable but I could commute from parents house to Widener.  Not too sure about job prospects for either of these school though

hey ward, sorry to hear they're taking forever with yet another applicant- you're numbers should've made you an auto-admit imho  ???. that's really weird- you're at about the 75th percentile for both your lsat and gpa. i would just recommend what i have to others still waiting- write that letter of continued interest if you already haven't. i visited and didn't feel good at all about my visit (i.e. how i came off to the director) so i figured i would try to redeem myself with the letter of continued interest. you can see the thread i reference above to corbabe where i gave the format of my letter to crossexam.

i would steer clear of cuse not only for their ridicuously high tuition but the fact i have read nothing but bad remarks about them and they are apparently slipping in the rankings. Widener is appealing to those who want to stick around Philly and I'm sure the $$ you save by going there and living at home would be great but unless you're planning on going into the public sector (which i hear widener does OK in), I don't think the $$ saved would be enough to choose it over Duq. Everyone says they are bottom feeder school in Philly and with that infamous C- curve, more students fail out than graduate :-\...this could all be hearsay so take it with a grain of salt but it's still something to consider. I've heard Duq places pretty well in Pittsburgh (and if you're good enough you could make your way over to Philly) and our only competition is really with UofPitt- that competition may disappear due to students at UofPitt branching out to other parts of PA and outside the state. I wouldn't mind working in Pittsburgh so I feel that I would do well by going to Duq. Anyway, good luck hearing back from Duq- they would be INSANE to let someone with your stats slip away. :)

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 04:46:13 PM »

psuisback- definitely don't give up hope. i have always said that this process is so RANDOM that you never know what's gonna happen. I take it you are a student at psu? Is your gf being in pittsburgh your only reason for the transfer or are you not quite diggin' psu? good luck in getting in- hopefully your application will stand out from the previous batches!

Thanks for the boost in confidence. I went to PSU undergrad (good friends with wardwilliams) and I'm currently a first year at a midwest T4. I was waitlisted at PSU last year with a 151 lsat (below the 25th percentile), so I'm definetly going to try again this year. Right now I have a 3.0 through 12 credits which puts me at the 42nd percentile for my class. My GPA/rank would be a lot higher if I didn't receive a C- in crim law (B+ in torts and contracts, A- in property), considered to be the easiest of the first year courses. However, I've been told that if I don't screw up any classes this semester, that most schools would overlook my C-...taking into account that I might have had a bad day or a sh*tty teacher (she was really horrible by the way).
Something I've realized is that the 25th and 75th percentiles for last year arent necessarily a good comparison for your chances of admission this year. My LSAT score would have put me in the 50th percentile two years ago, but is actually the 25th percentile for my entering class this past year. Most likely, I wouldn't have gotten into my T4 if I applied this year.
Ward...duquesne took forever last year before rejecting me...and my score was much lower than yours, so don't be alarmed. Last year there were several people wondering what the hell was taking so long. I'd say you still stand a pretty decent shot at getting in. Worst case scenario, go the cheaper route at Widener for a year and try to transfer.

MmTino2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 12:16:35 AM »
Haha.  Funny that you mention NESL.  That was the only other school I got into.  I made the obvious choice of Duq over it even though they gave me some nice phone calls.  I will say though that the first thing the Duq admissions officer said to me on the phone was...are you a Steelers fan.  Apparently Jets fans arent the thing to be in Pittsburgh, but I think if that my main worry Im in good shape.  But yeah for some reason I'm still holding out on Buffalo.  To be honest I dont know exactly why.  I'm almost certain I'll be at Duq though.  Im curious was to where everyone is living next year or if you guys are living on campus?