Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: is there really no reason to go to a t4 school??  (Read 2187 times)

sdnomal

• View Profile
is there really no reason to go to a t4 school??
« on: April 17, 2006, 02:48:58 PM »
allot of people bash tier 3 and 4 schools.

I was thinking of picking  a tier 4 over a tier 3 due to location.

Im sure the people that bash these schools consider tier 3 & 4 in the same category.

Am i just wasting my money?!

hotdiggity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: is there really no reason to go to a t4 school??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 06:16:34 PM »
Here's my opinion of t3 and t4.  I will be attending a t4 school next year and I do not anticipating it hurting me too much, the reason is I want to stay in the area so I am going to school t4 schools are usually able to place in firms in their area, yet not so good at national reputation and distance.  So I will be attending Widener and I plan to stay in the Philly area and at least start my career there.  So I do not anticipate there to be too much problem since I know I want to work in the Philly DA's office and Widener has no problem placing there.  I could most likely get into any t3 school around, I was waitlisted at a second teir school, however Philly has no ttt schools out of its 5.  I think that it's important to like the school and its city more than its rank, first off the rankings are flawed and they do not reflect quality of education.  If you do well in any law school you will be able to find work.  Now if you are looking for 175k starting salary in NYC or DC you may have a tough time, but if you're willing to work hard in law school get a job in a smaller firm or public law and make a name for yourself there I think you will have no problem having a successful career. 

edit: wow i wrote that during a break from a mind numbing paper (last research paper in undergrade) on the pharmacological effects of aspartame and my grammar was piss poor.  sorry.

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 08:38:22 PM »
I agree.  It will hurt you, if not kill you, only if you want to become a professor, work in BIGLAW in the major legal cities (DC, NYC, LA, CHI, maybe BOS).  However, you will be able to find a job if you get good grades at a T4.  Also, realize that some are better than others.  For example, I hear that Widener does well in Philly and Wilmington.

jjason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 02:41:28 AM »
Well, once upon a time, Santa Clara University was a T2. A few weeks ago, it was a T3. As of April 1st, it's a T2 again... Get my drift? Don't let a numbers scheme work you into a tizzy while making one of the most important decisions of your life.

Each year, several law school deans publish a message to prospective law students on the LSAC's web site. The article does an excellent job identifying other, more important areas of consideration when looking into law schools. The article can be found here. http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/lsac/deans-speak-out-rankings.asp

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 06:09:18 PM »
I know plenty of people who have gone to T4s and do well in their careers and make a lot of money.

Just go to school and put all your energy into doing really, really well. Come out on top and you'll do well in life.

Is it worth it? Well, financially you'll make a lot more over your lifetime as a lawyer even from a T4 than most people will with just a BA. 

regional

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 06:21:48 PM »
Also consider this:

This site if for people who enjoy engaging in, what I will call for lack of a better term, a massive pissing contest.  They congratulate how elite their position on a normal curve allows for a score placing that was originally designed for WWII fighter pilots.  The LSAT has, and always will be, bull.  But it's what we have, so don't take any lower teir attacks to heart.  I question myself all the time why I even bother reading this self-congratulatory site.

dmitrik4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 05:24:52 PM »
while i won't disagree with your assessment of the LSAT's worth, the fact remains that its probable lack of substantive value notwithstanding, its perceived value is undeniable.  so long as you do well, you'll be ok at any school.  the margin for error slims dramatically as your school's prestige goes down, however.

likewise, despite the fact that you can get the same legal education (good or bad) at both a top-14 and a T3 school, the fact remains that the T3 school won't open as many doors as the top-14 school will.  as long as someone understands that and is prepared for it, no problem.  it sounds like damientancredi is on the right track; not just going to any school that will accept em, but choosing widener for a reason.  incidentally, i am friends with several widener transfers here at rutgers, and they're all extremely bright (which reinforces the absurdity of relying on one four-hour test to determine the course of someone's entire legal career).

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 02:25:36 PM »
i attend a 4th tier school. i was very concerned about it at first. as a first year, i landed a paid clerkship for the state of new york for the summer and school year. my grades suck and my school is the lowest tier. they were more impressed by my resume and experience. they didnt even care about my school or my grades. keep this in mind before slamming 4th tier schools.

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 02:24:06 PM »
Also consider this:

This site if for people who enjoy engaging in, what I will call for lack of a better term, a massive pissing contest.  They congratulate how elite their position on a normal curve allows for a score placing that was originally designed for WWII fighter pilots.  The LSAT has, and always will be, bull.  But it's what we have, so don't take any lower teir attacks to heart.  I question myself all the time why I even bother reading this self-congratulatory site.

Well said.

There are plenty of people who will try to tell you that their LSAT score should put them in an elite group for the rest of their life.  The truth of the matter is that school reputation is relevant but not dispositive.  There are plenty of people at T1 and T2 schools who graduate without a job and take the bar before looking for work.