Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tough Choice  (Read 718 times)

jjohnson2255

• View Profile
    • Email
Tough Choice
« on: April 16, 2006, 12:12:43 PM »
I think there are pros and cons to both options but what do you guys think is better? ???

Option 1: Stay at my 3rd tier school.  I am on law review and will be leaving law school 100% debt free.  I am a junior associate with a firm this summer that pays new first year associates close to $90,000 when they get out of law school.  I hate the city my school is in with a passion and my law school will very much limit me to this part of the country. (if not this state specifically).  With the exception of two or three close friends, I can't stand the people at my current school.

Option 2: Transfer to Georgetown.  Although I have not heard a decision from them yet, I have the numbers to get in there.  Greatly expand my options for places to practice but also come out swimming in debt.  Absolutely love D.C. area.  And I have good reasons for Georgetown specifically - Gov't stuff my school would not be able to get for me.

sdlaw

• View Profile
Re: Tough Choice
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 01:56:19 PM »
It sounds like you already know what is best, leaving a school scholarship and a known job is hard, but if you are not happy money will not make it better.  I would say if you are really that unhappy then transfer, I do not know from your post if you could possibly work in another office of the firm, although I would strongly reccomend leaving on good terms, be honest with them but give them plenty of time to replace you.

AmericanConsumer

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tough Choice
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 01:24:09 AM »
I think there are pros and cons to both options but what do you guys think is better? ???

Option 1: Stay at my 3rd tier school.  I am on law review and will be leaving law school 100% debt free.  I am a junior associate with a firm this summer that pays new first year associates close to $90,000 when they get out of law school.  I hate the city my school is in with a passion and my law school will very much limit me to this part of the country. (if not this state specifically).  With the exception of two or three close friends, I can't stand the people at my current school.

Option 2: Transfer to Georgetown.  Although I have not heard a decision from them yet, I have the numbers to get in there.  Greatly expand my options for places to practice but also come out swimming in debt.  Absolutely love D.C. area.  And I have good reasons for Georgetown specifically - Gov't stuff my school would not be able to get for me.

This isn't really a serious question is it?  GULC is the obvious choice.  You can stay in a city you hate and make $90k per year (assuming you get a job at OCI next year, which is by no means certain), or you can transfer to GULC and pull $125-145k (depending on market).  You're out $70k in tuition, but so what?  You can make that money back in 2 years at a legitimate biglaw job.  Add to this the fact that you hate your classmates, and you hate the city you're in, and this is a no-brainer.