Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer to a school of similar ranking  (Read 1808 times)

NickyFitt

• 166/3.97 ---and charming!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NickyFitt
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - NickyFitt
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
Transfer to a school of similar ranking
« on: April 16, 2006, 12:12:07 PM »
I'm currently a student at a top-twenty law school in the midwest.  My partner is waiting to hear from the same law school, but is not certain she'll be admitted.  She has been admitted to a school she likes in Boston.

I am considering transferring to a top-twenty school in Boston in order to be with her.  My 1st semester GPA is certainly top-half, but it's uncertain if it's top-quartile (my school only ranks by quartile and doesn't post the rankings until summer). 

Most posts on this board are about transferring "up".  I realize that there's an element of up-ness inherent in transfering to the east coast from the midwest even at schools with equivelant rankings.  But these are my main questions:
1.  Are there any huge disadgvantages to making a latitudinal transfer?
2.  Do I have to be top-quartile?  Or would a lower GPA be allowed since my school is just barely higher ranked than the one I'd transfer to?
3.  If I leave here to transfer to Boston, does that mean I'm stuck in Boston?  Or will I be more portable than I am with a JD from my current gopher-ridden school?

I'm happy to hear from anyone with an opinion!
Loves me: Fordham, Hastings, Northeastern (7k),U of Minnesota, USC (8k), Washington & Lee, William & Mary (14k)
Loves me not: Boalt
UR such a tease! (waitlist): Columbia, NYU, Stanford

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=abigailallen

shamrock13

• View Profile
Re: Transfer to a school of similar ranking
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 01:56:31 PM »
stay at WUSL

sdlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 02:03:06 PM »
With a top 20 school I doubt you will be stuck anywhere, the downside of transferring is that you will likely have to give up a scholarship (most students eligible to transfer tend to be in the top 10-15% and the schools award money to entice them not to transfer).  I have honestly never seen someone with your unique situation as the majority of transfer students do it to move up to a better law school and better job opportunities.  I know my firm recruits from the top 14 schools heavily but also recruits from the top 100, and we are a big firm so I would not really worry about that aspect if its another top 20.  Best of luck.

NickyFitt

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 01:26:38 AM »
stay at WUSL

??? I don't know if there are also gophers at WUSL, but that's not what I was hinting at. 
Loves me: Fordham, Hastings, Northeastern (7k),U of Minnesota, USC (8k), Washington & Lee, William & Mary (14k)

NickyFitt

• View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 01:30:20 AM »
I have honestly never seen someone with your unique situation as the majority of transfer students do it to move up to a better law school and better job opportunities. 

Thanks for the advice.  I think I owe my predicament to the fact that my partner is thinking of Boston.  I don't stand a chance of transferring into Harvard, so my only option is to stay in the same ranking range (or drop).

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 01:05:37 AM »
Did you even read this guy's post, or are you just spouting off garbage?

He said he was in the top half, so where the hell does top 10 to 15% even come into play and why does he have to worry about giving up a scholarship? Poster's like you are the problem with this board, (and a lot of lawyers in general) you're just talking to hear yourself talk.

Ugggghhhhhhhhhhh.............

With a top 20 school I doubt you will be stuck anywhere, the downside of transferring is that you will likely have to give up a scholarship (most students eligible to transfer tend to be in the top 10-15% and the schools award money to entice them not to transfer).  I have honestly never seen someone with your unique situation as the majority of transfer students do it to move up to a better law school and better job opportunities.  I know my firm recruits from the top 14 schools heavily but also recruits from the top 100, and we are a big firm so I would not really worry about that aspect if its another top 20.  Best of luck.

ilovemyschool

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 01:13:08 AM »
Wow you are an A$$, I think what he was saying was that a requirement of most transfer students is to be in the top 15% which is for the most part true.  It is people like you that are negative that make this site worthless, your comment offered nothing but insults.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 01:22:53 AM »
I would contact the school you are interested in and ask.  Some schools give preference to married couples.  I know someone who transferred into Columbia b/c her husband went there & she was clearly not in their normal range.  On the other hand, when I told a school my long term/ live in bf went there, they did not care.  You should advise your partner to contact your school as well or explain the situation, it may help.  I am currently in a long distance, & it is possible, but tough.

Good luck 

ACore

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - atomcore
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 10:11:24 AM »
Actually, I'm in the same situation. I'll be getting married this summer and hope to transfer to a school that actually has a lower ranking (not by much) than my current school.
Attending: FSU
In: FIU, FSU, Syracuse 
Waitlisted: UM, Penn State
Rejected: Pitt, Stetson

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 03:06:27 PM »
Yeah and its people like you who just make up different screen names, and then post varying comments that make this site worthless.

What I was harping about is that he said that he would be giving up a scholarship. He didn't even read the previous person's post all the way, because he said that the reason that he would be giving up a scholarship is because he would be in the top 10 to 15%....however the OP said that he was only in the top 25-50 percentile range.....do you see a little inconsistency here? Or are you just retarded like that sdlaw idiot?

Why don't you read my post first before you make up a new screen name and then log in and post some more garbage.

Sorry I offended you by calling some idiot out.

Uggghhh.........

Wow you are an A$$, I think what he was saying was that a requirement of most transfer students is to be in the top 15% which is for the most part true.  It is people like you that are negative that make this site worthless, your comment offered nothing but insults.