Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: dropping MS for Law School  (Read 510 times)

GamePhase

• View Profile
dropping MS for Law School
« on: April 13, 2006, 10:30:32 AM »
Hi.

I'm considering dropping out of my Master's in Computer Engineering program and I want to apply to Law School for Fall 07. I already have a B.S. in Comp Eng. Could dropping from the M.S. have a negative effect on my chances to enter Law School? I'm not thinking of dropping because I want to go to Law School, but because it's not what I thought it would be and I don't really feel motivated to stay. I've heard people say that all that matters is undergrad GPA and LSAT. So I just want to know if they'll care about the fact that I started a Master's and didn't finish it, or they'll simply ignore it.

reverendlex

• View Profile
Re: dropping MS for Law School
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 02:05:30 PM »
Hi.
 I'm not thinking of dropping because I want to go to Law School, but because it's not what I thought it would be and I don't really feel motivated to stay. I've heard people say that all that matters is undergrad GPA and LSAT. So I just want to know if they'll care about the fact that I started a Master's and didn't finish it, or they'll simply ignore it.

I dropped out of a Ph.D. program to go to law school, and it didn't count against me. Just explain why you want a J.D. and not a M.S.

The GPA you had as a MS student doesn't go towards your gpa calculation, so don't worry there. Remember to disclose that to the law schools that you apply to, or you'll be amending your application later... trust me on this one.

Kazzzzzzzzaaam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 02:26:49 PM »
If I were you I would stick it out, and get your J.D and then go into the hot I.P sector right now, where both a M.S and J.D will land you the top jobs at places like Fish.

GamePhase

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 11:12:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I might just stick it out by pure inertia...
But now I have some comfort that it won't affect my chances at law school in case I decide to quit.

BigDaddy

• 3.2 160 McGeorge School of Law, 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 11:52:08 PM »
If I were you I would stick it out, and get your J.D and then go into the hot I.P sector right now, where both a M.S and J.D will land you the top jobs at places like Fish.

Gotta give a big "WERD" to this. I have a MS in Microbiology...for CS and BIO, you HAVE to have an advanced degree to do well in IP (esp patent prosecution). Stick it out, then go to law school knowing you have the ability to get a great job upon graduation!!