Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Patent Law Interview Program  (Read 1142 times)

luckyboy

• View Profile
Patent Law Interview Program
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:10:09 AM »
ok, so i am prefing firms for this interview program which has students from any law school who wants to attend, and firms have requirements like top 10%, 25%, and so on.  Im at a 2 tier school, and I'm curious how a student at a top tier who is say 40%, and someone at a t3 or t4 who is top 10, one is qualified for the interview, that doesn't hardly seem fair?  or anyone think that a top of the class at a t3 could compete at a t1?  just things im thinking about.

EddieG

• View Profile
Re: Patent Law Interview Program
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 12:12:45 PM »
I'd be curious to know from the people who have had success in the past with this program, what types of grades/background/law school, etc... Mainly, do students from lower ranked schools have any shot without being in the top of the class?

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 12:31:58 PM »
what is this program?  I would be interested since I passed the patent bar.  Now, if the USPTO would stop dragging their feet and get me my damn registration number, I could apply for positions as a patent agent!

Student

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 12:55:47 PM »
florida357,

I want to take the patent bar exam as well. Mind sharing what study guides you think is helpful to pass the exam?

Thanks.

student

EddieG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 01:00:09 PM »
It's held annually in early August in Chicago. Over 100 law firms from all over the country gather to interview law students interested in patent law. I'm pretty sure the registration deadline has passed.

http://www.luc.edu/law/career/

congragulations on passing the exam!

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 01:28:03 PM »
It was fairly hard.  I studied for 6 weeks and did 9 practice tests, passed the first time.  I would not be surprised if I only passed by a few points though.  I was able to get some free second-hand prep materials by Patent Resource Group (PRG).  They were a couple years old but I still thought they were OK. I also had just taken an IP class at law school, so I didn't have to spend much time on the basics.

The problem with the patent bar is that since they computerized it, they don't release the questions anymore.  It used to be that between 30-70% of the questions were from old tests, so you could get almost all of those right if you did all the old tests.  Well, they haven't released any tests since October 2003.  There are still some old questions on there, particularly from the October 2003 exam, but not as many.

RootBrewskies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »
why exactly is there a seperate test for the patent bar but not for other areas of the law?  or am i just being stupid and there are other tests that i just dont know about.

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 02:34:50 PM »
why exactly is there a seperate test for the patent bar but not for other areas of the law?  or am i just being stupid and there are other tests that i just dont know about.

The patent bar qualifies you to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).  It is seperate from a state or federal jurisdiction.  Basically, you can draft patents and represent tech companies in securing IP rights.  Only people with technical backgrounds are allowed to sit for the exam.

luckyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 12:00:24 PM »
and to sit fot he patent bar, you dont actually have to be a lawyer, just have the technical background, and im pretty sure the deadline passed, but there are 1800 people going to look for work, that seems a little daunting, granted there are between 100 and 150 employers, and i suppose this includes 2l and 3ls and possibly graduates, ill be more than happy if i land say 4 interviews, but to get these interviews, everything is based off of 1st semester grades, nothing like one semester to point you out on what trail you might go down

misterblueskies

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 12:27:07 PM »
and to sit fot he patent bar, you dont actually have to be a lawyer, just have the technical background, and im pretty sure the deadline passed, but there are 1800 people going to look for work, that seems a little daunting, granted there are between 100 and 150 employers, and i suppose this includes 2l and 3ls and possibly graduates, ill be more than happy if i land say 4 interviews, but to get these interviews, everything is based off of 1st semester grades, nothing like one semester to point you out on what trail you might go down

A registration deadline? I was not aware such a deadline existed now that the test is commercially available through Prometric. Am I wrong?