Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Strict Grading Curves - A Major Cause for Concern?  (Read 1280 times)

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
Strict Grading Curves - A Major Cause for Concern?
« on: April 11, 2006, 05:24:43 PM »
For example, at FSU there is a very strictly enforced C+ curve in which only 5-10% of the class may receive an A while another 5% must receive a D.  A current student made mention of this as a very important point to consider.  Apparently employers do not adequately account for a more difficult curve and it comes across as an excuse/whining during an interview.  I believe I was told by faculty/administrators that it's equally as common to place class rank on a resume especially in these circumstances, however, I'd hate to be ranked right in the middle of my class with a 2.5 and not get a job over someone at say UF with 2.6 who's closer to the bottom in his/her class (I am only using UF as an example, not suggesting comparison is accurate).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I was all psyched to attend FSU but considering this and the residency transfer in limbo till June, excitement and anticipation is quickly turning to doubt and concern.
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
Re: Strict Grading Curves - A Major Cause for Concern?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 10:43:35 PM »
I think most employers are quite aware of this and in most cases ranking is definitely given more consideration than GPA. A comparison of the two numbers side by side speaks for itself.  If you are envisioning some kind of high ranking/low GPA discrepancy, I'm sure they are capable of figuring that out.  They were in law school themselves once.  And yes, you will not sometimes but always include both your ranking and GPA on any application or resume.  I would by no means let a grading curve have ANY influence whatsoever in choosing which school to attend.  Most schools have similar curve systems anyway.  If you are a strong student (read: your professors like your exam answers), you don't need to worry about a grading curve keeping you out of a job. 
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 04:29:49 PM »

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I was all psyched to attend FSU but considering this and the residency transfer in limbo till June, excitement and anticipation is quickly turning to doubt and concern.

BigRig, I wasn't trying to put you off... crack a beer calm down.... like I said a couple times, it is just a factor for you to consider, it shouldn't be dispositive. 

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 04:47:23 PM »
Doesn't a strict grading curve = higher attrition rates?

florida357

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 06:27:04 PM »
hey BigRig, I feel bad that my info made you second guess yourself.  I just thought it was something you would like to consider.  Don't let it ruin your week.

reverendlex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 02:23:57 AM »

It hasn't in my experience at Temple. In my section, we lost 4 people from 1L to 3L. 1 left due to health problems, 1 voluntarily left for being crazy, 1 was kicked out for disciplinary reasons, and 1 transferred to Penn. We have an enforced 2.7 curve.

shimra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 10:50:01 AM »

It hasn't in my experience at Temple. In my section, we lost 4 people from 1L to 3L. 1 left due to health problems, 1 voluntarily left for being crazy, 1 was kicked out for disciplinary reasons, and 1 transferred to Penn. We have an enforced 2.7 curve.

According to the official web site, Temple's mean curve is 2.85.

modena99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 06:55:32 PM »
A B- curve will not have as much attrition as a school that sets the curve at 2.0 or below. You need a 2.0 to remain in school. So it depends on the school.