Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: most coveted 1L summer jobs?  (Read 8059 times)

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: most coveted 1L summer jobs?
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 09:49:32 PM »
Glad to hear you disagree w/ me.  I am working for a federal dist ct judge this summer so I think my bias made me place it under big law to not be preferential.  I agree with other posters that employers are concerned with you actually getting good experience, rather than making copies for some partner.  I am the cliche paralegal turned law student which helped me get my summer job. 

veeleigh

• YLS. I spend way too much time here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2006, 01:03:00 AM »
I've heard about federal externships (clerkships?) for post-graduation, but do they exist for 1Ls?  Is it possible to get federal judicial internaihps/externships that first summer?

blaze.1

• yellow snow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006, 04:24:08 PM »
I've heard about federal externships (clerkships?) for post-graduation, but do they exist for 1Ls?  Is it possible to get federal judicial internaihps/externships that first summer?

Yes. As a summer 1L intern/extern, you are working under the post-grad clerks.
Attending: Temple

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 07:01:54 PM »
I am going to be interviewed for a 1L summer internship to work with the in house counsel of a Top 10 Construction company in the United States. I talked to the Senior Vice-President and General Counsel of the company, and he mentioned that I would more than likely work in their Denver office hleping them in their mining operations in South America.  Will this benefit me at all in my search for a 2L summer internship with a large firm? Also, I will be attending Cornell University School of Law, if that matters any. 
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

John Galt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 10:27:51 AM »

Why not clerk for a year and start as a 2nd year associate (besides the extra %60k in salary)?

Where on Earth did you hear that your 1L summer, 2L summer, or 3L externship would be sufficient to classify you as a 2nd year associate once you hit a firm?  For some reason that doesn't exactly pass the smell test, though I'll admit I don't really have the best sniffer.

I think the poster was talking about clerking after law school. If you clerk for a year after law school, most firms will start you off at 2nd year associate pay.

Felsen

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 03:24:01 PM »
I haven't heard anything about this at firms, but I know at the Technology company where I work, you get additional benefits if you spent the summer(s) with the company.  They let you count the internship periods for accruing certain benefits such as vacation time and seniority.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 04:07:06 PM »
It doesn't work that way for summer associates at firms, as far as I know.

If you work full-time in a D.A.'s office over the summer, some states will credit that time toward your service.  I know Georgia does this, but I'm not sure whether all states have similar policies.

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 09:24:37 PM »

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 05:09:48 PM »
The OP mentioned wanting to clerk after law school.  Then absolutely get an externship with a judge.  I'm a law clerk now, and my externship 1L was very helpful in my interview process for post law school employment.  It demonstrated my interest and knowledge of what happens in chambers.  Plus the judges in town tend to know one another.  Also, excellent aid in improving writing skills.
Also- when it was helpful 2L during OCI interviews.  If you work with a judge after 1L, and a lawfirm after 2L you can have both on your resume and the externship is easier to acquire for 1L's than law firm work.