Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Weekends  (Read 3001 times)

ray7

• View Profile
Re: Law School Weekends
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 10:16:58 AM »
5:30 am - 11:00 pm?! Wow that is alot of studying. I am prepared to do it though it just seems like it may be more than necessary (understand I am just going by what others have told me). I have heard stories of people going full-time while raising a family and still making it out ok.

I just can't see how one can't find the time to go out from 10:00 pm - 2 am on a friday and saturday night when one is going to class/studying from 7 am - 11 pm all week. It is mind boggling. But like I said before, I am still an undergrad and will see for myself come the fall!

Any other opinions?

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 11:05:20 AM »
The only reason I'll be studying on Friday nights is because my wife works on Friday nights and I have nothing else to do, really.

catamount6178

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 12:01:32 PM »
I have yet to start school (will be a 1L this fall), but I imagine my schedule will be as follows: In class weekday business hours, study weekday late afternoons and evenings until bed, allocating small breaks for meals, work-out, etc. Fridays cut off the studying at about 9 or so to relax or go out, as budget allows. Study all day Saturday and Sunday.
Are your maladjusted, antisocial tendencies a product of your berserk pituitary gland?

Shadowalker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 01:56:00 PM »
I just can't see how one can't find the time to go out from 10:00 pm - 2 am on a friday and saturday night when one is going to class/studying from 7 am - 11 pm all week.

You can do it. In fact, a number of people in law school go out Friday and Sat. night. They are called the middle of the class.

As for me, I am not paying $100,000 to be middle of the class.

DCrell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 02:52:07 PM »
^The "middle of the class" law grads in my family still make a few hundred grand a year. If you get beat where it truly matters (job market) by a "middle of the class" person are you going to cry? Get off your high horse pal............

Shadowalker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 03:14:33 PM »
Different strokes for different folks. Some like the middle of the class . . . that is okay too. In fact, I never said there was anything wrong with it.

The funny thing is, a lot of people, including some law students themselves, refuse to confront the reality of law school. If you want to be in the middle of the class, party all weekend, if you want to be in the bottom of the class, party all week also. If you want to be in the top of the class, party minimally . . . if at all.

Why would I get beat in the job market by someone in the middle of the class? They won't be interviewing anywhere I will be considering.

jason1114

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 03:15:12 PM »
As for me, I am not paying $100,000 to be middle of the class.

This is the credited response...(except for me, it's going to be more along the lines of $200,000 [Undergrad + LS debt]).

DCrell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 03:18:37 PM »
^^ My main point is that so many people on here seem to think only top law school grads have good careers. this is not the case. It certainly helps. However, to act as if it assures success is naieve. Im not saying you have this view, but it seems many others do.

Shadowalker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 03:26:09 PM »
^^ My main point is that so many people on here seem to think only top law school grads have good careers. this is not the case. It certainly helps. However, to act as if it assures success is naieve. Im not saying you have this view, but it seems many others do.

Does it guarantee success? Of course not.

Does it gurantee the opportunities for you to create your own success? Without a doubt

Once again, I will note that many people refuse to face reality reagrding law school and the legal profession. If anyone reading this is one of those persons, then here is something for thought: Law is a hierarchical profession. Law school is similiar. That is why we have class ranks. That is why a firm wants to know your rank, not your GPA. That is why the best LSATs and UGPAs get the best law schools, and why the best law grades get the biggest, richest, most connected firms. That is why you can waive into Maryland from New York, but you cannot waive into New York from Maryland.

This is a profession. We are all paying a lot of money to become scholars in our profession. Why would you not want to be the best?

Bushido_Law

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 03:33:59 PM »
I don't know if I agree with that statement, I think that if you don't have the highest grades you will just have to work harder after you graduate to get those nice jobs.  You can also start your own job and get rich or die trying (small joke).  I think it comes to do you want to work hard in law school, if yes, then you'll probably get a nice job after... if not then you'll have to work hard a couple of years in bad jobs, to get that nice job.