Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Weekends  (Read 3007 times)

ray7

• View Profile
Law School Weekends
« on: April 10, 2006, 06:47:25 PM »
Does anyone just put the books away and enjoy themselves on the weekend? I plan on approaching law school like a full time job: Wake up by 9 am everyday Monday-Friday, study, go to daily classes, study more until I go to sleep. If this were my daily schedule Monday-Friday would I be able to enjoy my weekends, relax, visit the girlfriend (who will be a little about 2 hours away). Is this a realistic approach or is this not possible. I am going to be a 1L in the fall. Thanks!

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Weekends
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 07:10:26 PM »
Does anyone just put the books away and enjoy themselves on the weekend? I plan on approaching law school like a full time job: Wake up by 9 am everyday Monday-Friday, study, go to daily classes, study more until I go to sleep. If this were my daily schedule Monday-Friday would I be able to enjoy my weekends, relax, visit the girlfriend (who will be a little about 2 hours away). Is this a realistic approach or is this not possible. I am going to be a 1L in the fall. Thanks!

You wake up at 9 am for your full time job?

ray7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 07:14:56 PM »
I am still in undergrad. Ok, so I will make it 7. You get my point though. Just trying to figure out how I am going to approach my first year. I want some kind of schedule/plan.

archibald II

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 07:15:38 PM »
You will at least have to do work on sunday nights or something.  When you have a memo due, you will be working every waking minute of the weekend.

hth

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 07:58:06 PM »
I know a girl who has a policy (or at least says she does) of taking every weekend off.  I don't think I could pull that off.  I generally take off one weekend a month completely when my boyfriend visits. 

I would caution you against thinking law school will be anything like undergrad.  On a normal week I got out on friday nights, and spend the rest of the week studying.

It also depends what you want to do.  If you want to do public interest of work for the DA, grades are less important.  If you want to do big law, you need to a) work harder b) be naturally gifted. 

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 10:56:56 PM »
No.  You'll probably fail out if you take weekends off.  Better get up by 6am on Saturday and hit the books if you want any chance of beating the curve.

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 11:50:16 PM »
I've done well and do not open a book from Fri afternoon until Sun Morning.  However when a LM paper is due I usually have to do work on Sat, but that's only once in a while.  You have to take some time off to keep things in perspective.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 12:43:33 AM »
Here's my tentative schedule.  I'd like some feedback as to whether this is too little time spent studying...

Sunday:  Library/Read/Study  1pm-9pm
Monday-Thursday:  Up for class around 5:30am
         Go to class, then study in library until around 9pm or so.
Friday:           Up for class around 5:30am
                  Study at home until around 11pm

Saturday:         Sleep in until around 9am
                  Study 10am-3pm
                  Date Night with wife after 3pm

All told, I'm guesstimating about 65 hours per week on average.  Is that about right?

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 01:27:15 AM »
Here's my tentative schedule.  I'd like some feedback as to whether this is too little time spent studying...

Friday:           Up for class around 5:30am

Saturday:         Sleep in until around 9am
                  Study 10am-3pm

All told, I'm guesstimating about 65 hours per week on average.  Is that about right?

you need to allocate at least one whole day to "Binge Drinking."  Other than that.. your schedule looks ok.
pudding is delightful

QUAKER OATS

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 01:32:16 AM »
Looks good for the beginning of school, but once you get the hang of things I'd be suprised if you need that much study time.

Friday:           Up for class around 5:30am

Saturday:         Sleep in until around 9am
                  Study 10am-3pm