Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: poor lawyers  (Read 47231 times)

bestow

• View Profile
Re: poor lawyers
« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2007, 11:10:47 AM »

Freud himself who was to declare to Fliess in a letter dated 16 January 1898, that money did not form the object of an infantile wish which is why, as the well-known saying puts it, money proves incapable of "making one happy" as an adult. [...]

I guess you've read about the Freud-Fleiss relations ... I was a psychology major in college for a time ... this was until I wrote a paper with the hypothesis that Freud was gay... The paper was not an attack on Freud or gays, it was just making some salient points about motivations ... The instructor in the class made a point of not agreeing with me, but liked the paper and gave me an A ... Well, the paper was passed around the faculty in the Psych dept and I was eventually called into the Dean's office ... he told me that if I "...continued upon this course, I will refuse to allow you to graduate with a degree in this field." At that point I went back to majoring in history...

Freud is such a polarizing subject in the field, but I never thought that a simple paper would lead to a threat to end my academic path ...
Bye-Bye, Mein Lieber Herr.
Farewell, mein Lieber Herr.
It was a fine affair,
But now it's over.
And though I used to care,
I need the open air.

Everything But The Girl

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 24, 2007, 06:10:42 AM »

[...] you end up billing only about 2 hours for every 3 hours that you spend at "work." [...]

So basically no matter how little time you may spend doing these other things, your law firm partners will use the 3:2 formula to figure the approximate number of hours you can bill?!

LegalMatters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2007, 11:35:37 AM »
Based on my deep insider knowledge (my boyfriend works for a law firm with a 2,000-hour-a-year billing requirement), I may be able to demystify this from the layman's perspective.

On billable hours, work is measured in increments and there's no standard increment that all firms use. One firm may bill in 15-minute increments, another in 10-minute increments, and where my boyfriend is employed, six-minute increments. It's not even done algebraically, I'm told. For each file, he keeps a running tally of what activity he did in relation to the file, and how long it took him on a piece of scratch paper and then enters it into a program that helps generate bills.

Again, I'm not a 1L yet, but I think it's a matter of ethical behavior not to cheat on the numbers. For example, based on a five-minute increment system, if I start working on a brief at 1 p.m., take a five-minute coffee break around 1:30 p.m., then return and continue working on the brief until 2 p.m., I'm billing 55 minutes. You don't round up to the nearest hour. Or, if I start writing the brief at 1 p.m, take a phone call to negotiate with the other side on a different case for 15 minutes, then return to the brief I'm working on until 2 p.m., I'm billing 45 minutes for the first file and 15 minutes for the second file.

Only certain activities can be billed for. My guess would be that that's part of why lawyers work long days. You can be in the office for 10 hours but may only come up with six billables for that time.

solicitor

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2007, 05:51:09 AM »

[...] Wall Street lawyers make the most money, but they appear to get the least satisfaction out of their jobs. They work extremely long days and many weekends, billing clients for 2,000 to 2,500 hours of work a year, and find they are given little responsibility initially. [...]

Excuse my ignorance, but why would the author consider 2000 hours a year too much? To bill 2000 hours, you need to bill only 40 hrs per week for 50 weeks. If you take an hour for lunch, that's 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., 5 days per week. No sweat. 

cambrioleur, that's exactly what I said when I heard about the $2,000 billable hrs! :)

Lynn Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2007, 06:27:21 AM »

Freud himself who was to declare to Fliess in a letter dated 16 January 1898, that money did not form the object of an infantile wish which is why, as the well-known saying puts it, money proves incapable of "making one happy" as an adult. Yet, it can nevertheless give the impression of doing so, to the extent that it is capable as we know from Freudian metapsychology of functioning as the unconscious substitute and equivalent for any "object" whatsoever that is invested by the libido of the subject, be this oral, phallic or, especially, anal. Indeed, it is because infants view their faeces as the first tangible proof of their capacity to produce something meaningful, on both a material level and a "relational" one, that money stands in a relation of symbolic equivalence, for the unconscious of every subject, with the notions of faeces, gift, penis, and baby.

On a material level, faeces represent for children their first possessions of value. Indeed, if children tend at first, roughly between the ages of 2 and 3, to take an auto-erotic pleasure in defecating (the first phase of the anal stage), they subsequently discover, around the age of 3 or 4, that they can obtain a more intense excitation by holding back their stool (the second phase of the anal stage). This is the source of the pleasure adults take in holding onto money, valuable objects or, yet again, time (as shown by the character-traits of avarice and parsimony, as well as the pleasure of hoarding or saving), in accordance with the equation of money and excrement. As regards the relational point of view, it is not long before the child comes up against a parental injunction usually expressed by the mother to "do" when and where it is necessary. The child thus finds himself or herself faced with an alternative: either to obey and defecate in the pot upon which he or she is placed, and thereby secure maternal satisfaction, along with rewards and caresses; or to disobey, in a show of defiance directed at the beloved mother, by "doing" anytime and anywhere (in bed, for example) or by refusing to perform when asked to, and thereby annoy, or even anger, his or her mother.

The first option consists in the child's presenting his or her first real gift to the mother namely, the gift of his or her stools, capable of extracting cries of joy or surprise from the latter and in thereby taking up an attitude of object love. The second option amounts to the child's preferring a narcissistic position -- refusal, stubbornness, obstinacy, opposition, etc. -- and his or her obtaining an aggressive satisfaction (the anal-sadistic aspect of which Freud speaks). This would form the source of the pleasure that adults can take in refusing demands made by other people -- such as demands for a pay rise made by employees in a firm, with such a refusal being all the more significant, on the symbolic level, when the rise in question is almost negligible in strictly financial terms. In the most extreme case, according to the psycho-analytical argument that is often put forward, an overly active or precocious repression of the child's psychosexual development during the anal stage -- especially at the moment of toilet training -- can lead to the development, in later life, of a veritable obsessional (or, as it was sometimes called, anal) neurosis. Since the pathbreaking work of Oskar Pfister on the psychical structure of classical capitalism and the financial mind (Borneman, 1978), an entire current of thought (Reich, Fromm, etc.) has endeavoured to locate within the capitalist system the indices of a collective obsessional neurotic syndrome.

[...]

The anal phase corresponds to the following period when an infant is 1 and a half to 3 and a half years old. During this period, an infant becomes more independent. It is the period when parents are the authority determining when the infants should defecated as they try to discipline their infants. Having found a new erotogenic zone, the anus, which gives a pleasurable sensation when turds are let go, the child often disobeys and holds back the faeces when put on the pot. The accumulation produces a violent muscular attraction with as much pain as pleasure and this habit is usually found in a child. The distinction into the masculine and the feminine is not yet developed but rather as the active and the passive. The object of satisfaction here is not identical for the active and the passive unlike the case of oral phase. The active wants to have a control of its own and to be the authority whereas the passive has to submit to the authority. The anal phase can manifest itself later in adults in authoritarian and rebellious personality.

Also in this period, the infants will be preoccupied with anus and faeces. Children often treat faeces as a gift and they also like to play with them. Being told by their parents not to, the children then play with something similar like mud or clay. Adults who regress to the anal phase are sometimes found to play with their faeces in confined cells or hospital. Money is also a symbolic substitute of faeces, deriving from being a substitution of gold, a substitution of faeces. So playing with money in the adults is an acceptable substitution for the unconscious desire to play with faeces.

interestoninterest

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2007, 11:13:15 PM »

[...] they subsequently discover, around the age of 3 or 4, that they can obtain a more intense excitation by holding back their stool (the second phase of the anal stage). [...]

[...] Having found a new erotogenic zone, the anus, which gives a pleasurable sensation when turds are let go, the child often disobeys and holds back the faeces when put on the pot. [...]

So basically are you guys saying that when you keep turds in your rectum for longer they're supposed to be there you're in actuality using them to musturbate your anus? Or is that only when the turds are let go that the anus really gets stimulated for you to have pleasure? 

relationship

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 27, 2007, 12:11:31 AM »
interestoninterest, I guess both.

Many people will actually not go to the bathroom for days in a raw (they are constipated, after all, what's wrong with that) Then, all of a sudden, they let go some abnormally large sized feces. We're talking HUGE, here! (say, 3 inches in diameter and 8 inches in length).

my stepson my lover

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 31, 2007, 05:40:27 AM »
OMG the a-hole appears to be a really really big hole!

my stepson my lover

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 31, 2007, 05:42:00 AM »
OMG the a s s h o l e appears to be a really really big hole!

daisygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 20, 2007, 04:30:12 AM »

[...] you end up billing only about 2 hours for every 3 hours that you spend at "work." [...]

So basically no matter how little time you may spend doing these other things, your law firm partners will use the 3:2 formula to figure the approximate number of hours you can bill?!

LOL ;)